AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just snooping on my 5040 harddisk & found some interesting files referencing USB. In /user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/USB there are two files:

SupportedWirelessDevices.txt :

Macsense AeroPad Plus WUA-700

( www.macsense.com, Fry's, Micro Center)

USBDrivers.txt :

'[ENABLE_AR]

[NO_REG]

9AA.3642 IPrism

66B.2212 IPrism

772.5731 IPrism

[NAMES]

9AA.3642 D-Link DWL-120

66B.2212 Instant Wireless Series LinkSys Wireless USB Network Adapter

772.5731 Macsense AeroPad Plus

[VERSIONS]

9AA.3642 b

66B.2212 2.5

772.5731 WUA-700

These files & their contents almost seem to imply some wireless support. Now if we could just enable the USB port somehow...

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
That doesn't indicate much really. The big question is whether the drivers themselves are actually present, and the consensus belief is that they are not.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'll bet that they tried to do it with wireless, found out that wireless 802.11 b 11mb plus the 11mb limitation on USB 1.1 (so even if you had 802.11g - you would still be at 11mb) was just way too slow to stream video between replay TV's.

They probably nixed the idea because too many customers would complain about not being able to stream.

Too bad too, I'll bet there are quite a few people with only one RTV that could get the benefit of using wireless for guide updates or IVS that wouldn't stream to another unit anyway.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Why not go for a wireless keyboard then. There are several models out there that work. A quick search of the forum and I'm sure you'll find a few.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DHassel
Actually I was looking for keyboard input functionality VS wireless since I'm fully wired.
Plus there was never any plans for USB support for anything but networking.

Get a WebTV keyboard. I got one for my ReplayTV 2xxx and have kept it through a SS and two 5Ks. They work pretty well--not perfect, but simplify searches considerably. I got mine for $5+$5 s/h.

Best,

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
5500s have usb 2.0

I wonder if the newer 5040s have 2.0

cow
Given the confusion over the USB 2.0 specifications (see http://www.usb.org/info/usb_nomenclature ) I wonder if these really are the "High Speed" USB 2.0 ports on the 55xx. Anyway, since the newer 5xxx have the same fans and motherboard design as the 55xx, I imagine they have the same USB controller as well (whatever it may be).

In any case, I doubt it will matter. I would be very surprised if the USB ports are ever activated.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
5500s have usb 2.0

I wonder if the newer 5040s have 2.0

cow
USB 2.0 "full speed" is the same old 11mbit USB 1.1 we've hated for so many years. Thank the USB Consortium for the misleading nomenclature.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Oh, good one! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.