AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have a Dell Laptop with 720 p screen. I want to view HD (will be partial HD for 720p screen) channels using SET TOP Box (e.g. Tata Sky HD) through a TV Tuner Card. However, I am not able to find the right TV Tuner Card which has an input for HDMI and could be connected to Laptop through USB. My objective is not to record HD TV programs but only view it on my Laptop screen.

I have heard of one Aver Media H727. I am not sure if it is what I am looking for.

Any suggestions...?

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Chances are that you need a Hauppauge! HD-PVR capture device for this scenario.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
admittedly I'm not familiar with broadcast technology in your corner of the world, but the reason I immediately thought "capture device" was because you said you have a set top box. Tuners "tune" the channels and do not use a set top box. Capture cards/devices allow you to pass the signal from a set top box to a pc.

In the US anyone who uses a high definition set top box (especially Directv and Dish Network satellite users) with a PC uses a capture device.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hauppauge! HD-PVR capture device is the best option. However, it costs much as compared to the service I am looking for.

It is mainly built for Recording purpose and is priced accordingly.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The TataSky service uses a set top box and can output to HDMI, composite port or component ports (from the box I have seen) and most computer displays will allow connection to them though you may need some type of switch. The problem is you mentioned a "maptop" which I assume you meant "laptop". In this case, there is no input port to the display that can be used so somehow you need to get the output of the STB into the computer, so a capture device is needed... all of these are built to record as there would be no point not to as it is all the same hardware, just that they wouldn't need to have any recording software which costs nothing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay..

SO, any such device which could take HDMI input from Set Top Box and transfer the same to my laptop through USB will be having Recording facility and is going to be a costly affair!

Thats what Hauppauge HD PVR 2 is all about. It is an excellent device and will surely serve my purpose. Its just that it is too costly ot just view HD TV Channels on my Laptop Screen!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts