AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im using an USB "Flip" pocket camcorder which always worked perfect up to the other day when my Mac performed an update and now it no longer works.

How it use to work, I would plug the Flip into the USB and a Security message would appear saying an outside device is trying to mount your hard drive do you want to give permission. This message would appear quick and I would of course say yes and and I could then access the device via finder.

Now when I plug in the device it takes for ever for the security message to appear and when it does it immediately disables the device before I can make a selection, selecting OK does no good. I have to unplug and re plug the unit back in again for the computer to see it and the cycle starts all over again.

I am not sure where to go in system preference or what to change to allow this device to mount to the mac.

Thanks!!

Im running a mac book pro.

Mac OS X version 10.5.6

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Go to the apple(black) open system preferences look under security open firewall and

select access for specific service and applications and hit the plus at the bottom and add

assuming you have the flip plugged in while this is happening it may not hurt to have

i-movie open while this takes place since it's a great place to edit.

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. The Flip does not require a driver or plug in. Just plug it in and it shows up in devices. They do have software to manage the content but you can open this after you download the content to your computer.

This worked great until I performed the last update

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Under security does it show blocked or allow in the firewall settings.The reason I asked is because some photo and video try

to contact a thrid party (usually the mfg) and as part of the security upgrades it defaults to block it.

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech /forum/post/15590899

Under security does it show blocked or allow in the firewall settings.The reason I asked is because some photo and video try

to contact a thrid party (usually the mfg) and as part of the security upgrades it defaults to block it.

Unfortunately there is no listing or associated program under firewall for the Flip, none is needed. For the sake of testing I selected

"allow all incoming connections" but that did not resolve the issue.

I ran Parallels and was able to connect for a work around so the usb port and camera are working. On the mac side something has changed with that last software update that conflicts with the Flip.

Maybe next update will fix it.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
Im running a mac book pro.

Mac OS X version 10.5.6

On the mac side something has changed with that last software update that conflicts with the Flip. Maybe next update will fix it.

Alan, a painless way to protect yourself in the future is to do a backup clone of your MBP drive with SuperDuper before every upgrade. If you discover that something breaks after the upgrade, either a third party device or software or with Apple's own software, you can revert right back to where you were quickly and easily. (A restore from Time Machine, on the other hand, is far from quick.)

You never know which model machine might be affected by which bug--but just in HT terms I've had problems pop up after certain upgrades with respect to Quicktime, Perian and AC3 support, the ability to connect to external displays and Apple dvd player glitches. If you don't have a clone on hand, you're stuck until the next upgrade, and then only if your bug is deemed important enough to fix.

I bet a lot of Mac users have Flips...have you found anyone else with the same trouble?

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Don't know if this will also help but Quiktime just released 7.6 today a 75.1mb file

that is supposed to address security enhancements,encoding quality,reliability and

compatibility.

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thought I would update this thread to let everyone know I found a fix.

In my first post I forgot to mention my optical drive was also left disabled with the 10.5.6 update. Not sure why some were affected by this update and others were not. I guess it depends on your configuration.

Someone posted a little script program that fixed the issue. Thank god.. it was getting tiresome not having the usb and optical drive. I found out I used them more then I thought.

Here is the link.
http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2008/12...k-mac-os-1056/

Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Alan, how did you think--or even dare--to try that script--for jail-breaking iPhones--to solve your Flip, USB and optical drive issue? Did you jailbreak an iPhone or did you surmise that it was the same type of permission issue?

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc /forum/post/15752291

or did you surmise that it was the same type of permission issue?

I did a search using "mac 10.5.6 update disabled my USB" and it pulled up that article.

For those who were affected by the update it always struck the USB and or optical drive. We all use these in different ways but always one thing in common these ports were left disabled. I had nothing to lose trying this.

What ever it is doing it unlocked the USB port along with the drive.

The script may have been meant for another use but it worked for me, glad I tried it.

During my search to find a fix I also read that several people recommended only update via apples site. Have you heard of this?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
During my search to find a fix I also read that several people recommended only update via apples site. Have you heard of this?

You mean downloading a standalone update from the website versus the more automatic clicking on the Apple > Software update drop down command? If so, yes, there are some fans of the less automatic update path--especially if they have a bunch of Macs to update, that way they just have to download the standalone update once. There's also a school of thought that the standalone "combo update" is the better bet anyway, i.e. it results in fewer problems and glitches than doing it automatically.

I tend to wait a bit after any update is announced, rather than rushing right in, then just do the automatic software update process. I'm particularly anal about not upgrading anything on my HT Macbook unless absolutely necessary, audio and video and third party drivers and connecting to an external display is too delicate and intertwined. I'm religious about SuperDuper backup clones, so I'm not worried, only once or twice in recent memory has an automatic software update borked a Mac of mine, and each time I just restored back to where I was with SuperDuper.

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc /forum/post/15753412

I'm religious about SuperDuper backup clones, so I'm not worried, only once or twice in recent memory has an automatic software update borked a Mac of mine, and each time I just restored back to where I was with SuperDuper.

Im now running "Time Machine" so I should be all set if there's ever a next time.

This served as a valuable lesson to how important backing up really is.

I will take your advice and not jump early with the updates

I have to say though I still love my Mac

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
There is a helpful wjdget that helps by letting you run the daily.weekly and monthly scripts manually called Maintidget although it usually runs these at 3am unless you turn your

computer off. This fixed a friends issue with his sony camcorder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts