AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a strange problem with my IR receiver that I can't understand. It works fine when my HTPC is turned on for the first time. It works fine putting the system into standby and waking it up again. However after coming out of standby it is unresponsive and no longer seems to even receive signals from my remote.

I can fix the problem simply by unplugging the IR receiver and then plugging it back into the USB port. The receiver works fine until the system comes out of standby the next time.

The driver associated with the device seems to be just a standard piece of software provided by Microsoft and there are no updates available.

Can anyone explain what is happening?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Disable selective USB suspend in advanced power options?

I tried that and it had no effect.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm not sure what else there is to try except for swapping receivers. Maybe a powered USB hub would make a difference? Is there a light or anything to tell if the receiver is powering up after resuming? Is it still listed in the device manager?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried the IR receiver on a different PC running Windows 7 and it worked. There was a slight delay coming out of standby before the receiver responded.

I went back to the Zino HD and ran Task Manager while coming out of standby. I saw a large CPU utilization (35-50%) for Windows Media Player. It remained high for at least 30 seconds. I checked Device Manager and it reported that the IR receiver was present and functioning normally. I removed the IR receiver and CPU utilization remained high for some additional time. Once I installed the receiver again, it started working normally.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
You might want to try the MCE Standby Tool, which has some options for managing USB devices, as shown in the screen cap below.

I am using the .094 beta available here with Vista 32, but there are newer betas for Win7 available in the same forum.

Checking all the options seems to have fixed a problem I was having with my ATI DCT upon resuming.

-Dave

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
You could try using the MCE standby tool. Version 0.9.98.0 is available for Windows 7. It has USB options that you can try that may help your non-responsive IR dongle.

* edit * - Beat out while I was typing my response!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried that tool and it was not much help. Several of the options are grayed out and I can't tell if that means they are just not allowed in Windows 7.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHL /forum/post/18310436

I tried that tool and it was not much help. Several of the options are grayed out and I can't tell if that means they are just not allowed in Windows 7.

Did you install the Windows 7 version, .98?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer /forum/post/18310589

Did you install the Windows 7 version, .98?

Looks like there is now a .099 beta for Windows 7.

If MST does not work, I have no other suggestions, other than trying a powered hub, as suggested above.

Actually, I guess I have one more suggestion. In Device Manager, some of the USB controllers and devices may have a Power Management tab with a checkbox that allows the computer to power down the device to save power. It might be a good idea to look at all USB devices and controllers, and uncheck the box so that the PC does not power down the device.

-Dave

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was using .9091 but that apparently has fewer check boxes on the USB tab. I will download that other version and give it a try.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Windows 7 specific version has apparently fixed the problem. I did get a bit of surprise from the "idle standby" setting though. After 30 minutes of a Netflix movie, my system decided it was idle and dropped into standby. I cleared the check boxes on the Idle tab and that problem did not repeat.

I would really like to know what caused the IR problem since I did not have this problem on my previous Zino and the receiver was able to wake up the system. I suppose it will remain a mystery....

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Glad it worked. The tool is designed to allow you to optimize standby and hibernate.

I like the fact that the idle detection is tweakable. I found that my PC would hibernate during large file transfers to other PCs, and I was able to adjust idle detection to prevent that from happening.

I am not sure why it worked before. My guess is that MST is tweaking registry settings, and these settings may have been set differently by default in your other configuration.

-Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts