AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm newbie in this area, so this might be a dumb question, but here goes.

I was planning to get a Logitech Harmony to control several devices at the same time. For instance by clicking at the music button: turn on the TV, make Mediaportal go to audio and turn the amplifier to Aux.

But now I'm thinking does there exists an USB IR transmitter, that I could program to send out custom signals?

So if I used my cheap MCE remote to HTPC, the HTPC would receive the signal and send a custom signal to the TV and the amplifier using the USB IR transmitter.

Would that be a good idea or would getting a Harmony be better?

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koger /forum/post/15483526

Hello

I'm newbie in this area, so this might be a dumb question, but here goes.

I was planning to get a Logitech Harmony to control several devices at the same time. For instance by clicking at the music button: turn on the TV, make Mediaportal go to audio and turn the amplifier to Aux.

But now I'm thinking does there exists an USB IR transmitter, that I could program to send out custom signals?

So if I used my cheap MCE remote to HTPC, the HTPC would receive the signal and send a custom signal to the TV and the amplifier using the USB IR transmitter.

Would that be a good idea or would getting a Harmony be better?

Thanks a lot

Yes such a device does exist and it will be able to do everything and more that a Harmony can do. http://www.usbuirt.com/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your answer :)

Do you know if there exists a cheaper device, without the IR receiver as I have a IR receiver in the case.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koger /forum/post/15488720

Thank you very much for your answer :)

Do you know if there exists a cheaper device, without the IR receiver as I have a IR receiver in the case.

I don't know...I consider the USBUIRT extremely cheap for what I can do with it. Probably the best value for any entertainment or automation equipment I own.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for your answer.

Could you explain what's so great about the USBUirt, why should I choose it instead of the Logitech Harmony 555?

The downside of the USBUirt, as I see them.

It would cost me more than a Logitech Harmony 555.

The box is not pretty, but I can't hide as it must be visible.

I'm not saying that USBUirt isn't great, I don't just see the great value yet :)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koger /forum/post/15493561

Thanks again for your answer.

Could you explain what's so great about the USBUirt, why should I choose it instead of the Logitech Harmony 555?

The downside of the USBUirt, as I see them.

It would cost me more than a Logitech Harmony 555.

The box is not pretty, but I can't hide as it must be visible.

I'm not saying that USBUirt isn't great, I don't just see the great value yet :)

I use it in conjunction with MainLobby to receive and send IR commands (using touch screens) to allow me to control much of my AV gear through RS-232 and the rest using IR. I can do a lot more than I can do with a Harmony. A lot of people also use girder. I am sure that a search on USBUIRT will give you plenty of information about it.

If you just want basic control and have line of sight with your AV gear, then a universal remote control probably makes sense...but from your first post, I thought you wanted to do more.

The USBUIRT is $50...a Harmony 555 is cheaper?

Good luck.

Murray

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK I see, thanks again.

For me the USBUirt is 70$ incl. shipping and possible extra to get it through customs
Shipping inside europe, seems to be out of stock at the moment.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just wondering if one could use an MCE Receiver to the same effect? I've got a Harmony 880 and use it to control my Onkyo 606 and my satellite HDPVR through a wall via a pair of those ir -> rf -> ir pyramid things that radioshack sells and it'skinda flakey. I've been looking at IR distribution systems but if I can use girder + my mce ir receiver to do it that would work as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts