AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am planning on buying Dayton Audio UMM-6 to use with REW? Should I buy it from amazon or from cross spectrum website? I've read those sold on amazon are not individually calibrated; while the ones sold on CS website are (along with 0, 45, and 90 degree FR curves).

Another thing I read is that UMM-6 has higher noise floor. Is that a matter of concern if I set average SPL around 80dB while running REW? Are there any better USB alternatives to UMM-6 that do not require phantom power?

Also, I didn't know where to post this thread. If it's the wrong forum; Mod pls move it to the right one.

Thanx

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does UMIK-1 require minidsp also to work properly? I'm asking coz I don't plan to buy minidsp as I already have BFD

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Does UMIK-1 require minidsp also to work properly? I'm asking coz I don't plan to buy minidsp as I already have BFD
Not at all. MiniDSP (the company) makes the UMIK-1; but it doesn't need the MiniDSP (the unit) to function.

Edit: Also, for every UMIK-1, you can download the individual calibration files (0-deg and 90-deg) directly from MiniDSP.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx. Do you know how much is the delivery time for UMIK within US if bought from CSL?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
thanx. Do you know how much is the delivery time for UMIK within US if bought from CSL?
No idea; I got my UMIK-1 from Power Sound Audio (PSA)

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No idea; I got my UMIK-1 from Power Sound Audio (PSA)
What was the delivery time? Also, is there any shop in DC where I can buy it or online is the only option?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
What was the delivery time? Also, is there any shop in DC where I can buy it or online is the only option?
Unfortunately, I'm just about the worst person to ask. I got mine with my S3000i which was shipped over a full month after I ordered it because I pre-ordered.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
It takes anywhere from a few days to a few weeks depending on inventory levels (which they usually say on the site).

I strongly recommend holding your breath and counting backwards from 200 until it arrives. LOL :p

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:)

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im ordering UMIK-1 from PSA. I thought I'd order miniDSP 2x4 Rev B also for mainly two reasons; though I have a BFD 1124p. One is the ability to set HPF and second is the signal delay setting.

Need to ask a couple questions;

1. Can someone tell me if it can do HPF below 20Hz?
  2. What is the inherent delay caused by miniDSP to sub mono signal? I have to add about a foot to the sub distance to compensate the delay caused by ADC>DAC conversion in BFD. Don't know about miniDSP.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
^^ get the Umik-1 from cross spectrum which is better than the UMM-6 from what I have read.
I have the UMM-1 and it works just fine. The advantage of the UMIK is if you want to bypass the mic calibration and use the “Sensitivity factor”, which will tell REW how sensitive the mic is, then UMIK is the best mic to have and is more stable with REW. If absolute SPL level accuracy is desired, then a manual calibration of the UMM-6 mic is recommended. Both mics exhibited accuracy when a manual calibration had been performed. The Sensitivity factor is nice, but its not that big of a deal to do a calibration. Now if I did this for a living, that would be different.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
This is from Anechoic from Cross Spectrum on the Home Theater Shack Forum for anyone that wants more detail of the differences between the UMIK and the UMM-6.

All three mics have been level calibrated, but I did not adjust any of the input settings to try to optimize any of the three mics. I'll let the plot speak for it self, but my takeway:

- when looking at A-weighted noise floor, the UMIK-1 is about 49 dBA, the UMM-6 about 53 dBA and the EMM-6 about 33 dBA. Despite the high-order harmonics of the UMM-6 having a greater amplitude compared to the UMIK-1, the overall noise floor is not that difference since the A-weighting reduces the influence of higher frequencies. The spikes at 1 and 2 kHz for the UMIK-1 and UMM-6 are within a couple dB of each other.

- IMO, the UMM-6 is absolutely not usable for high-frequency distortion measurements. The UMIK-6 is only mostly not useable for high-frequency distortion measurements.

- just a note: the 120 and 240 Hz spikes on the EMM-6 graph are caused by the AC power supply of my Presonus Firebox, when I connect the mic to battery-powered sound meters, those spikes aren't there.

- as I said before, both mics should be fine for most measurements provided you stay 10 dB above the noise floor. I suppose it may be possible to optimize this a bit by experimenting with the sound control panel volume settings, but I don't have the time to experiment with that right now.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
I remember reading Jerry's guide where he has a section about the accurate absolute output reading when measuring with less than 100% on the mic recording volume. The Umik-1 is more accurate in this case per his data between the two. In my case, I had to reduce this mic recording volume to 30 or 50% in window in order to prevent rew clipping measuring at the higher compression sweeps and it is good to know that my Umik-1 has accurate output readings. I also heard that the UMM-6 is easier to break if one drops it.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Yeah that is why cross spectrum will not ship aborad the UMM-6. I guess its more fragile and he was eating a lot of brokem mics from the shipper being rough with the package. I got the UMM-6 only because when I ordered from Cross Spectrum he was out of the UMIK-1, otherwise I would have purchased it. But for my purpose it works just fine. But if I had a choice, I would defiantly pick the UMIK-1

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanx all for your input for mics. So, UMIK-1 it is.

Now the following two questions I asked in post # 12;

1. Can someone tell me if it can do HPF below 20Hz?
  2. What is the inherent delay caused by miniDSP to sub mono signal? I have to add about a foot to the sub distance to compensate the delay caused by ADC>DAC conversion in BFD. Don't know about miniDSP.

Anyone knows?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
[*]What is the inherent delay caused by miniDSP to sub mono signal? I have to add about a foot to the sub distance to compensate the delay caused by ADC>DAC conversion in BFD. Don't know about miniDSP.
I honestly didn't test this parameter. I have Audyssey XT32 which does a good job of handling the distance calibration on its own regardless of what I put in the signal chain (including a wireless adapter which adds a good 10 ft).

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do I need to buy a separate pulgin to work with minidsp for subwoofer calibration? My use is purely subwoofer equalization and nothing else just like I do it with BFD 1124p.

I am a little confused about those plugins. I will be amazed to know if minidsp without plugin will not do subwoofer equalization, or for that matter anything, and I will have to buy a separate plugin for that.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess there is only one way to find out ............. ordered UMIK-1/miniDSP combo

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the mindsp 2x4 (Rev B 2.0V unbalanced) + 2 way advanced plugin + UMIK-1 a week ago. Added minidsp in sound chain; without adding any filters, the sub output is roughly 10dB lower than what it was without minidsp.

I have to dial the sub gain knob nearly 12 o clock position on FV15HP, which is lying 4 ft from me when mini is in sound chain. Without it, I keep the gain at 9 o clock on the sub for equal loudness with all other things equal. Same issue with PSB S500. Both subs have monster output without mini.

Tried it with two AVRs Onkyo 5010 and CA 751R (recently acquired).

What is the issue?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts