AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All my music is on a laptop that's running Debian Linux. Currently I am inputting audio into my Sony receiver using a coaxial cable via a cheap external (USB) sound card. I would like to do away with the external sound card. is there a cable I can use to directly input the digital audio signal from my laptop to my receiver?
PS: Laptop does not have optical out.

·
23,017 Posts
Something like this might work. Peachtree has one that samples up to 96K. Double check to see if drivers are needed. I would expect "plug and play" to work with Linux but you never know. However, Amazon does have excellent return policies.

·
Banned
166 Posts
You've already got a USB to SPDIF external sound card, and no other way to get digital audio out of the laptop. So your only choice is to use a USB to SPDIF external soundcard.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@PooperScooper your suggestion is what I have already. I was wondering if there was a cable that will make the laptop see the hardware in the receiver. Will USB to HDMI do the trick?
Thanks, @scruff67

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
no. neither is there a cable that will turn power from your wall outlets into sound for your speakers. There's also not a set of eyeglasses that lets me read Chinese. the things are different and require translation. Mosy over to monoprice.com - IIRC, they have devices that would sit between an hdmi output and an optical input and give you what you want . . . .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts