AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm totally new to HTPC's. I've been using a WDTV for years, and just bought a second but the new one seems to have some glitches and doesn't seem to serve data to the second fast enough for glitch free play.

So I was thinking of picking up a used small form factor PC to dedicate to a HTPC. Seems there's plenty of inexpensive options out there but then I noticed some, such as a Dell Optiplex 760, don't have digital audio output.

So question: is there a recommended inexpensive USB>spdif converter? I don't need a full sound card, just a converter. Are they all multi-channel dolby compatible or is that something I have to be careful about?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador  /t/1470542/usb-to-spdif-digital-audio-converter-for-budget-htpc#post_23259450

This can pass-through Dolby Digital, DTS, and 2ch PCM using the optical output. I was using one on my laptop and it works great.
http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-Advantage-Digital-Adapter/dp/B0036VO4X4

Yeah, I saw that one while searching myself but the site I spotted it didn't show the optical digital attachment so I thought it would only output analog. Can you confirm it will at least do DTS? I suppose I was looking for someone to tell me they've used one and that it works well.

Although I've used a USB to spdif converter for my audio only system and it worked great, dunno why this shouldn't.

[EDIT]

I see for myself on their website it does DTS so that's good enough for me. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.