AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best USB TV tuner?? Anyone??

If I am only using it for antenna usage, does it matter? I need help!!

also, what is the best antenna to use?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the Hauppauge WinTV-HRV-950Q that I use on my Dell XPS-1530 laptop. I works quite nice and comes with a basic HD antenna. Only issue I have is that I can't get QAM working, but that might be because I'm running Server 2008 for a OS.

For my TV, when I want to watch ATSC I use the Winegard SS-3000 for a antenna. It does a real good job.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I have used several of the Pinnacle USB TV sticks and they work well. Any HD digital TV stick should work with a digital antenna. Mine's on the eave of the second floor and works great. For the antenna to work well, you need pretty much of a line-of-sight to the transmitter. Trees, buildings, and hills can be a problem.

·
Banned
439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriver /forum/post/15596726

with a digital antenna

Careful, that advice will lead you to a false search, and perhaps fall victim to higher cost antennas advertised as "digital".

There is no such thing as a "digital" antenna.

The important thing is the frequency of the digital TV signals in your area. You can find this out here:
http://antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

Find out whether the channels you want to watch are UHF and/or VHF. The antenna itself does NOT know or care whether the signal is analog or digital. Only the frequency of the signal.

The new digital FCC mandate means more stations will be using VHF band to broadcast digitally modulated signals. VHF requires bigger antennas than UHF.

If you need distant UHF reception, the Channel Master 4228 gets great reviews. It is mentioned here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...13#post8727113

Anyone remember when cable was sold as commercial-free, better signal quality, to replace free Over The Air signals?

We have come full circle. Cable, because it is compressed to squeeze as many paid for channels into the frequency space, is poorer qualtiy than Over The Air HDTV.

I am a former amateur radio general license operator. (HAM).

iq100

truth without the advertising.

one of perhaps a hundred, BANNED from J. River Interact (aka INTERCEPT)

delete my ideas by posting some of your own

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Yes, I would be very interested to see a working antenna that could actually pick up a truly digital signal.

Anyway, I have 4 VBox 3560 USB2 tuners and they work fine for me. Although I would guess that some of the newer ones might offer better performance.

-Suntan

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something_Soft /forum/post/15583237

what is the best USB TV tuner?? Anyone??

If I am only using it for antenna usage, does it matter? I need help!!

also, what is the best antenna to use?

Which country are you based in?

The US uses one standard for digital TV OTA (8VSB) and another for cable (QAM).

Europe/Aus/NZ etc use a different standard for digital TV OTA (DVB-T COFDM) and another for cable (DVB-C QAM)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts