AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to finalize my IR setup. I have all my components in an enclosed media cabinet except for my plasma and projector. I'm wondering if I can put my USB-UIRT outside the media cabinet and send IR from a normal remote to an external IR emitter plugged into the back of the USB-UIRT to the cable box and other stuff. Is this possible and does the computer need to be on to do this?

I'm hoping I can use the regular cable and other remotes as well as use my computers to control my IR equipment without having to buy more stuff like IR Imput and IR connecting blocks for this to work.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hi Justinm,

Well, first off the USB-UIRT doesn't have an external input jack, only an output. So, to receive IR the USB-UIRT would have to be exposed to your room as an ir target.

As far as what you want to do, it's theoretically possible, as the USB-UIRT ( outside your cabinet ) could receive IR signals and send them to your PC via USB. On the PC, it's possible that EventGhost could repeat the signals ( assuming you use the IR out jack of the USB-UIRT ) to the components inside. ( I don't use EventGhost, so I can't say this with certainty )

I wouldn't recommend this type of setup because of A - the complexity of setup, B - the fact that the PC would have to be on all the time, and C - there would be latency in repeating the signals, which would become problematic with repeat code IR signals such as volume +/-.

You have a number of options that aren't that expensive.

You could equip your remotes with NGHP battery transmitters and place the base station inside your cabinet.

You could use a wired or wireless IR extender to send signals from a target IR receiver in your room into your cabinet.

Jonathan

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I currently use Girder on my HTPC thats connected to the USB-UIRT. I then have the IR output of the USB-UIRT connected to a URC mrf-350 and mainly control everything with a MX-3000 but still use certain commands with the USB-UIRT.

The problem is the MX-3000 and the MRF-350 is my fathers and he's taking it. I don't like the MX-3000 so I don't want to purchase one (too hard to use on screen buttons). I have an old MRF-250 and MX-650 remote but somehow the MX-650's RF is broken so I was hoping I could just use the USB-UIRT but apparently not? Is there a cheap device that I could use to receive IR and transmit without disconnecting anything? I really want to use this as a backup so if for some reason the HTPC isn't working I can use IR to watch tv.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
The Logitech IR extender is pretty cheap. You don't have to have a Logitech remote for it to work.

Also, the MRF-350 (and maybe 250) has an IR input on the back. You can use that to receive IR from the USB-UIRT or an IR extender and it will distribute IR to all the IR ports (all six in the case of the MRF-350). Not sure it would help you, but if you are already wired for the MRF then it might help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.