AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. To be able to record HTDV without glitches on MyHD, would it be a good idea to dedicate a hard drive to the MyHD data files, and another to Win2000 and the swap file?

2. It is possible to create a registry entry that will keep much of the system routines in memory - rather than swapping them out. Would this be a good idea?

3. Are their any tweaks like this that will make it more likely to get glitch-free HDTV recordings?

4. I understand that recording NTSC programs is a whole different game.

a. What is a realistic CPU requirement for a Duron or Athlon processor?

b. Where are the codecs obtained?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lescaudle
1. To be able to record HTDV without glitches on MyHD, would it be a good idea to dedicate a hard drive to the MyHD data files, and another to Win2000 and the swap file?
It probably doesn't matter. The footprint of the MyHD app is very small, and transport streams don't take much speed of hard disk to be able to handle, nor does it take much CPU to do decode of transport streams using the MyHD card.

If you have 128MB or more RAM, I think you can do quite a bit of "other" stuff and still record/playback transport streams.

Quote:
2. It is possible to create a registry entry that will keep much of the system routines in memory - rather than swapping them out. Would this be a good idea?
There is one...look here among other places for the info. Note that it doesn't really do anything on machines with 64MB or more RAM, as the kernel stays in RAM 100% of the time at that point.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
By glitches do you mean stutters?

I'm successfully recording using a PIII 450 and 256 ram. I do have occasional lock ups but I believe that to be a driver issue.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jldet5
By glitches do you mean stutters?

I'm successfully recording using a PIII 450 and 256 ram. I do have occasional lock ups but I believe that to be a driver issue.
I don't do HDTV but I found there are some programs that can cause stuttering regardless of how ever many harddrives you may have on your system. I've generally found such naughty programs to be something like a program that tries to free up memory like "FreeRAM XP" but I found Rambooster to be a-okay. If you are using dial-up, any dialing out while recording at the same time may possibly cause stuttering also. FYI, I have three harddrives on my system -- C: system drive, D: video drive, E: data (everything else) drive.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have my MyHD HTPC set up in the "two drive" fashion that you mention.

I have the primary channel with an old (2 yr) 10GB 5400rpm drive, booting up the W2K OS/Programs/Swap file. I also have my sony dvdrom on the same channel.

My secondary channel has my Seagate 80GB 7200 ATA100 drive on it. This channel is void of any other drives. The 80GB is used to store the MyHD records and rips from my dvds.

With this setup, I have yet to encounter any issues. My 5400rpm boot drive works fine for booting and storing programs. Also, I have a 256MB DDR2700 stick in my computer. With W2K and this much RAM, very little needs to be swapped out to disk. With XP, you might need a little more.

Also, with this type of configuration, replacing a drive for a larger one is easy since the "boot" drive is a separated from the "data" drive. Swap out my 80GB with a 300GB (or supplement), and I don't need to completely reinstall my OS.....shweeeet! :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a MyHD in transit, I'm not encountering any problems - just trying to figure out best configuration in advance.

I do understand that recording an NTSC signal takes a lot of CPU - and possibly hard disk bandwidth also - so I'm more concerned about that.

BTW - how much hard disk space is required for HDTV recording? Does it matter if the signal is a 1080i or the lower def they use to display a non-HDTV program on an HDTV channel?

·
Registered
347 Posts
In real life (1080i), I come close to 9.5-10GB of data PER HOUR.

I don't record any NTSC content...I leave that up to my ReplayTV unit :)

Cya!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mando
In real life (1080i), I come close to 9.5-10GB of data PER HOUR.
That's quite odd, because I get exactly 8.06GB (or 8,650,000,000 bytes) per hour on all recordings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.