AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how I could use my alarm outputs when either an event is active or when programmer to control the availability of a network device? What I want to do is to only allow for network viewing of a CCTV DVR when the alarm is armed in a particular setting. I can have the alarm system output signals or relays when these events are active, but I essentially wanted to cutoff outside access to the networked dvr. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Matt

·
Registered
66 Posts
I could envision turning on power to a network switch in response to an external trigger, such as an alarm. If the Dvr is Connected through it, that configuration would keep it isolated until the alarm sounds (I.e the switch is off, there is no network connectivity; the switch is on, there is network connectivity) .

Knowing what type of equipment you have would help us give a more definite answer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah sure that is essentially what I was thinking. The alarm is a honeywell ademco vista 21ip panel and I am looking for a new dvr, ideally one that I can use the trigger to also control recording stops/starts but don't know if that will be possible. So I haven't selected a dvr yet for the inside cameras but do have a lore dvr for my exterior coverage but I do not want to control that one based on the alarm status. Any ideas on which network device I could control with an external voltage trigger? Thanks in advance.

Matt

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wasn't so much thinking of signaling the switch as using a relay to turn on (and off) the power to the outlet that powers the switch. Follow me? You can use any network switch for that.

I believe most dvrs have an alarm input iirc.

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts