AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I engage the subwoofer crossover on my HSU VTF-3 MK5, or use the AVR's bass management?

The crossover on my VTF-3 MK5 only goes up to 90HZ. The LFE on the receiver is set at 120 and the crossover on my VTF-3 is set to 90Hz and "in" (turned on). I tried it in the "out" position, but my music sounds boomy from all the bass between 90 and 120 Hz getting sent to my subwoofer. All of my main speakers are set to 80 Hz. Music actually sounds awesome when I enable the subwoofer's internal crossover at 90hz and my mains also at 90Hz.

My concern is will use of the subs crossover have a significant impact on my LFE; especially with, the subs internal crossover turned on and set to 90HZ ?

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
You only have one crossover setting, that between your speakers and sub, and that you say is set to 80. The LPF of LFE should be set at 120hz as that is the normal limit of content on recordings that utilize the .1 channel (the LFE channel).

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
If your using the room correction (Audyssey, MCACC, ARC YPAO etc...) in your receiver then your going to be using the crossover in the receiver. In that case set the crossover toggle switch on the back of the sub's amp to "OUT". That will completely disable the sub's crossover and you'll only use the receiver's

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
Should I engage the subwoofer crossover on my HSU VTF-3 MK5, or use the AVR's bass management?

The crossover on my VTF-3 MK5 only goes up to 90HZ. The LFE on the receiver is set at 120 and the crossover on my VTF-3 is set to 90Hz and "in" (turned on). I tried it in the "out" position, but my music sounds boomy from all the bass between 90 and 120 Hz getting sent to my subwoofer. All of my main speakers are set to 80 Hz. Music actually sounds awesome when I enable the subwoofer's internal crossover at 90hz and my mains also at 90Hz.

My concern is will use of the subs crossover have a significant impact on my LFE; especially with, the subs internal crossover turned on and set to 90HZ ?
Boominess can be caused by corner placement...is your sub in a corner? If so, find a different location that doesn't sound as boomy, I suggest the subwoofer crawl to find the best location for your sub in your room.

The only reason to "double up" on crossovers (setting them the same in the AVR and on the sub itself) is to create a crossover with a steeper slope (24db per octave vs. 12db per octave) to reduce leakage of higher frequency content into the sub and making localization more difficult. Do you have localization issues with the sub?

·
Registered
16,833 Posts
The LFE on the receiver is set at 120............
It is unclear what you mean by this. But it seems you might be confusing the 'LPF of LFE' with the AVR's crossover's low-pass filter component. These are two completely separate settings. One is applied to the LFE channel info and to the LFE channel info ONLY. The other is applied to any channels that are set to SMALL (or not set to 'full-range', depending upon your AVR manufacturer's terminology).

You should set your sub's low-pass to 'OUT' btw.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I used a SPL meter to tune the sub, and set the sub's crossover on out. It sounds amazing. My crossovers are on 90hz, and the LFE is at 125 HZ.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts