AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have an older Samsung HD "ready" CRT tv set that doesn't have a built in ATSC tuner. I seems very hard these days to find hd set top boxes because most newer tv's have built in tuners. I just purchased an hd antenna and am trying to find an inexpensive way for me to be able to use it with my tv. I was looking on eBay and a guy is selling the Samsung SIR-TS360 Directtv receiver boxes for like $50. Would this work for me and allow me to receive over the air local HD channels without subscribing to directtv service? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Super Moderator
18,213 Posts
IIRC, you can get the Sammys to do that, but they still need an access card. You could search the archives here for that answer.

However, you're talking about some relatively old OTA technology. Were I you, I'd look into one of the newer boxes in the sticky.. maybe one that does QAM should you wind up subscribing to cable. My newer ATSC boxes lock on to fringe signals in a way my Sammy just can't.

·
Registered
21,835 Posts
From what I've read with few searches, you need ANY type of D* card to access the setup options to set the receiver to "no dish". Prior to purchase, make sure it has a card or you haev access to a card and/or it has been to "no dish".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts