AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

~~HI guys, this is my first post. I am awaiting a subwoofer to be delivered today to add to my modest (but growing) home theatre setup - a receiver with two front speakers and a center channel. While waiting for FedEx to deliver the sub I figured I would search online to make sure I know how to set it up when it gets here. While doing this I somehow stumbled onto the fact that because my blu -ray player (which happens to be a ps3) is not hooked up to my receiver via hdmi I will not get the best audio, which is DTS - MA. My receiver only decodes Dolby Pro Logic, so if I understand correctly I should set my receiver to Auto A.F.D., connect the Ps3 to the receiver via hdmi, and select lpcm as the audio output from the ps3. I feel like an ass cause I assumed for the past year or so that I was getting the best audio from just the optical output. Now my question is this: without rear speakers, will DTS-MA give me the best sound for the speakers I have or should I be doing something else such as using the Pro-Logic decoders on the receiver?

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
OP had another thread I replied in where he advised he has a Sony STR-DG520 for an avr. It doesn't appear to handle anything but Dolby Digital or DTS via hdmi, and from what I saw doesn't seem likely to handle multich LPCM so I advised he probably won't improve on the offerings of his optical connection.....and he had asked the mods to remove the other thread which they seem to have now....

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
The Sony STR DG520 only does HDMI Passthrough. It does not process HDMI audio. So, the OP needs to stick with optical and set the PS3 to bitstream. The receiver will decode the multichannel track and downmix to the numbers of speakers configured in the system. While not lossless, the lossy codecs on Blu-ray are encoded at high bitrates and rival lossless in quality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts