AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Longtime member, but first post

I've recently gotten the urge to add surround sound to the tv in my family room. Im looking to spend about 1k for the speakers (small bookshelves or satellites because of WAF) and receiver. My biggest question (out of many) is about the sub. I have a Velodyne SPL-1200 from about six years ago. Obviously, what I can purchase or need to spend changes quite a bit if I don't need to purchase a sub. Is that sub appropriate for smaller 5.0 systems or am I better off getting a bundled 5.1 system with matching sub?

I've been looking at the following systems:

Mass 10, Quintet V, Energy Classic, Polk Blackstone, Orb, Minx, etc...

Any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
+1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick feedback! That definitely helps.

It is pretty overwhelming when there are so many speaker options. Am I missing anything from the above list? Anyone feel strongly about one versus another?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Take a look at the NHT Absolute Zero, they are a compact speaker that is still very capable and extremely accurate. They also have the Super Zero 2.1 which is a little smaller, and would be great as a surround speaker. I would go with a Denon AVR-X1000 from www.accessories4less.com for your receiver, it has Audyssey MultEQ XT which is very helpful when it comes to configuring and calibration your speakers and sub.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
+1 the Focal Sib set if you go the satellite speaker route. (I would also consider the NHT SuperZero's satellite speakers.)

If you can go with small bookshelf speakers you'll generally get better sound quality for the money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts