AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

My system: Win 7 64bit, ATI 5570, cat 10.9

Using either PowerDVD 10 or TMT3, Hardware Acceleration is automatically OFF when playing 3D blu-ray, in 3D mode. Hardware Acceleration only works in non-3D playback. Hence sometimes there are stutter in 3D playback, while 2D playback is perfectly smooth.

Is there a combination of driver, display card, player setting which can use Hardware Acceleration in 3D playback?

Or the solution is a faster CPU? Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
HD 5xxx does not support MVC decoding. GeForce 430/450/460 or HD 6350/6500/6600 (Q1 2011) is a solution. A faster CPU (Athlon II X3/Core 2 Quad/Core i3-530 or higher) is another solution.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt it's a MVC only issue. Even side-by-side clips (from broadcast or some blu-ray, in either MPEG2 or AVC) also can't use Hardware Acceleration in 3D playback.

I understand 6xxx card supports MVC in hardware. But anyone actually tried and can confirm Hardware Acceleration works in 3D playback? I'm afraid it's the same old story that some driver or player that hasn't had it working, yet...

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
504 Posts
I just got the ati 5570 card. Looks like I should have read more. Even ATI's site says this --
Quote:
AMD HD3D technology is enabled on ATI Radeon HD 5000 Series GPUs and above using Catalyst 10.10 or later, however Blu-ray 3D playback is only supported on AMD Radeon HD 6000 series GPUs and above.

So if I find my quad core Q6600 is too slow, and I get a GeForce 430/450 I understand I can only use the NVidia glasses and not the D-Link glasses, correct??

Will the Nvidia glasses work with the new Optoma converter box when it comes out?? I understand it ships with D-Link glasses.

This is very confusing. I may need Nvidia 430/450 for PC playback of Blu-ray (which only works with Nvidia glasses) but these glasses may not work with Optoma 3D-XL box for Blu-ray playback with external player.

What to do??

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
renethx

Thanks for the answer, but what if I want to purchase the Optoma box when it is available, will the Nvidia glasses not work with it? I'm asking this for other people's interest because I will be using the D-Link glasses for now.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Perhaps NVIDIA glasses won't work. Optoma 3D-XL works with DLP-Link glasses (that [ZD201] are bundled).

Optoma 3D-XL (a HDMI 1.4a 3D-to-120Hz alternate frame sequential converter) is like the Mitsubishi HDMI 1.4a 3D-to-Checkerboard converter for DLP 3D HDTVs. It's necessary for a standalone BR 3D player that does not support 120Hz alternate frame sequential output, but unnecessary for PC 3D solutions.

·
Registered
669 Posts
From what I understand MVC decoding is supported on CAT 10.9 but it was eliminated on 10.10 and up. Right now I can play back 3D movies on my 5670 with CAT 10.9 + hotfix. If I install 10.10 or 10.11 I get major stuttering and complete breakdown of movie. 10.9 CPU runs at 40% and movie playback fine. 10.10 and above CPU 99% and movie is unwatchable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As i am not much knowledgeble, with this above disucssion can i interpret that any thing (media player / PC / Hardware) which can decode MVC can playback 3D blu-ray?
Any other need which is to be there to ensure 3D blu ray playback?

I was actually researching an Android media player which can play back 3D blu ray, and i am not able to find any help. I found some relevancy in this discussion, hence posting my question here, though totally aware this is the HTPC forum.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
The answer depends on the supported 3D formats of your display. If your display is HDMI 1.4a 3D, your graphics card needs to supports Frame Packing 3D (the main HDMI 1.4a 3D format for movies).

·
Registered
6 Posts
The answer depends on the supported 3D formats of your display. If your display is HDMI 1.4a 3D, your graphics card needs to supports Frame Packing 3D (the main HDMI 1.4a 3D format for movies).
I have a full HD 3D TV (hdmi 1.4a), what i am not able to determine looking at supported codecs if any device (graphic card) is capable of frame packing 3D or not.

If a device supports MVC codec, can i conclude it would play back 3D blu ray?

Regards,

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
If a device supports MVC codec, can i conclude it would play back 3D blu ray?
No, not always true. Intel HD Graphics in Celeron/Pentium IVB/Haswell desktop processors support MVC decoding but does not support Frame Packing. But these are perhaps the only exceptions. Most graphics card supporting MVC decoding also support Frame Packing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No, not always true. Intel HD Graphics in Celeron/Pentium IVB/Haswell desktop processors support MVC decoding but does not support Frame Packing. But these are perhaps the only exceptions. Most graphics card supporting MVC decoding also support Frame Packing.
Is there any way to be sure? or only thing left is by testing it out?

Any way, i appreciate your inputs, it is going to help me narrow down a media player, as i see that many boxes support MVC and VC-1 (though i don't know if VC-1 has any relation with 3D BD playback).

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Picking up your card and asking me is a sure way. :)

MVC (Multiview Video Codec) is an extension of AVC (Advanced Video Codec)=H.264. "VC" (Video Codec) is common, otherwise nothing in common.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Funny part about the HD 6000 series supporting MVC and the 5000 series not supporting it, is that some 5 and 6 series cards are the same GPU. For example the 5750/5770 are the same as the 6750/6770. However the BIOS is slightly different. Sure enough the 67x0 cards are have the same UVD 2.2 compared to UVD 3 on most other HD 6xxx cards. The difference in BIOS for the 67x0 compared to the 57x0 is mainly an additional powerplay state to upclock the core specifically for BD 3D/MVC playback.

So if you have a 57x0 card you should be able to cross-flash it to an equivalent (same manufacturer/card design/ram type/ram speed/ram amount) 67x0 and get MVC decoding capability. The same might be possible for an 5450 --> 6350 but finding a compatible 6350 BIOS might be tough and I've never heard of anyone doing that.

Of course this doesn't help OP since the 5570 (Redwood XT) has no 6000-series equivalent, but I thought I would mention it anyway.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Are you replying to the 4-year old post? :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.