AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be using a Sony HD200 (until the HDTiVo ships) with a Mits WS48413 and was wondering if I should try DVI or just go with component? I don't mind investing (and it's investing for sure) in a DVI cable if it will give me better performance.

With my front projector I actually prefer RGBHV over DVI on the Sony HD200 so it has me thinking DVI might not be the way to go... after all I'm going into an analog set not a digital one. Anyone with experience using both care to share?

Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree. Component on a RPTV will most likely look just as good as DVI. If you get a DLP, LCD, or LCoS...go with DVI...and you can find cheaper DVI cables. They are not all $100. Depending on the length you need the cable, of course.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
I would try both though. Which will be better depends on what has a better frequency response and Y/C charateristics. The Sony STB, or the D/A converter the Mits uses.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Charles,

Let us know your results. I am getting my Mits on Tuesday, and will also be using a Sony HD200. I already shelled out the $100 on the DVI cable, but will obviously use the component if it looks better.

Ken

·
Registered
453 Posts
I asked this in another area, but will ask here:

How quickly will the 300, or how does the 200, scan through channels. What I like about the Sony televisions, they are great for channel surfing.

Are there any stretch modes built in to the 200 (or upcoming 300)?

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, after comparing component and DVI for the last hour I can say there is very little difference if any. And I know I could not pick which was which during a blind test.

I used HDNet and since I had to throw a switch on the back of the HD200 I couldn't simply change inputs on the TV (it sure would have helped). I made sure the video settings were the same for each input and viewed each one back and forth at least 20 times. Typically, I check faces as for me I can spot differences far easier this way especially with close ups.

If I was forced to come up with a difference I would say that DVI looked a little smoother (less sharp) as if there were a little more detail in the image. Which on the surface made component feel more 3D. But after watching each a couple of minutes the DVI felt more life like... if that makes sense.

Bottom line is they are the same (to me) and your set's settings and certainly your source will vary the image more than the two inputs. For the record I used Monster cables (way over priced at that) on both inputs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.