AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you use a line doubler for analog big screen with s-video in?

Does it make a huge difference?

I will be purchasing a hdtv or projector as soon as I make up my mind which would be the most practical for my application.

But until then, I want to get the absolute best pq I can get with current setup. Thank you!

RCA 52" big screen

Denon 4802 a/v receiver

Sony DVD (has component out but not progressive scan)

Vandersteen 2ci's front and cheap surrounds

Sound Dynamics sub

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I gather from lack of replies that this is probably a stupid question not worth answering. I have tried to find an answer to this on the board, but I am completely ignorant of the terms used in ht...such as interlaced, dvi, etc. So I cannot tell if it would work in my situation or not.

Please take a second and enlighten me.

I really would appreciate it. Thank you.

Larry

·
Registered
807 Posts
A line doubler will only work with a set that accepts a progressive signal. The progressive input is generally in the form of component inputs or 15 pin VGA inputs. Sets that accept a progressive signal are almost always labelled as HD sets or HD monitors. So therefore, no, you cannot use a line doubler with your existing TV.

BTW, two hours isn't a very long time to wait for a reply to a post.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
You can not buy a coverter box to let you do this either. Standard NTSC TV sets have a sweep frequency of 15.75hz and are capable of displaying a 480i input signal. That's it. To display a line doubled picture (normaly referred to as a 480p input), the display must be cable of a sweep of 31.5 hz. If your set can't handle that (it would say HD ready or something like that if it could), stick to 480i. No pint in buying a DVD player with a progressive output, you can not display it. Now your s input on your display may result in a better picture than your composite inputs if the s converter upstream is better than the one in your set. Sat TV is broadcast in s (so to speak, so in all cases with sat TV you will get a better picture going s to your tv.

Now, S cable only works well over short distances (like a couple of meters). A good solution is to get high quality composite wire and run 2 lengths, joining the ends at each end together with a 2 f input to s plug converter. Now longer distances, no problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So there really is nothing I can do to boost the pic, ok...I guess a projector is going to come sooner than I expected.

I've been reading alot about htpc's and I think that is the route I'm going to take once I get a projector. Now, once I do that, (either a lt150 or Sanyo p21 due to the reviews and prices) is a line doubler definitely worth it then?

Sorry for the impatience!

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Larry

·
Registered
807 Posts
I know next to nothing about projectors, however I am quite certain that you will want a scaler and/or line doubler for your projector. It may be built into the projector or you may want to use your home theater computer to do scaling/doubling for you.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I have digital cable coming in with 2.35:1 black bars on top and bottom, but standard vcr won't record them. Any chance my J.V.C. S-VHS E.T. will record the digital channels?

Any 'black boxes' from any geniuses to put ahead of the cable coming in, I don't care if its legal or not. It's for my own viewing not to bootleg. I already have a left leg that I can't wear any boot or shoe, as it doesn't even look human any more, from all the operations.

Something from Sima or Joe Blow if it does the trick, while we're waiting for the DVD record wars to become common like the cd/rw that are now standard for many models of the computer 2nd bay drives.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reposted in this forum:

After finding out I couldn't do anything to really help pq on my non-digital rptv, I took the plunge and purchased a used dlp projector. An Infocus LP620ZV.

Anybody else have this particular pj?

If so, are you happy with it and what have you done to increase the pq?

I have a few questions:

1) what screen type would be most beneficial (I believe lumens is around 5-600 and contrast ratio is low also)

2)what type or model line doubler and/or scaler would be best? (right now I'm using a non-progressive scan DVD player w/s-video, but I plan on building an htpc very soon)

3) What's the best hook-up...s-video or using the cable that came with it to run from the computer? (cable wizard)

Thank you!

Larry

·
Registered
15,017 Posts
Larry,

Your projector questions might be better answered in the digital projector forum.

One way to get a brighter image is to use a high-gain screen. A "retro-reflective" screen is the brightest with a gain of about 2.8. It tends to send most of the light back in the direction of the projector, so you'll see the brightest image when your line of sight is close to the projector's. Unfortunately, getting darker blacks is usually done by using dimmer screens. No screen will change the projector's overall contrast ratio, however.

A thorough calibration of the projector will improve both color accuracy and contrast, of course. Either of the DVDs "Avia Guide to Home Theater" or "Video Essentials" will get you started. I think Avia is somewhat better for calibrating solid-state projectors than VE. Unfortunately, you'll need to hire a certified ISF technician to get the best results: they have the necessary calibration equipment and training to use it properly.

A line doubler is only appropriate when a projector is standard VGA (640x480). Otherwise you should get a scaler that will generate an output that exactly matches the projector's resolution of 800x600.

When you connect the projector to an HTPC, you would use the "cable wizard" adaptor and connect it to the video card's RGB output. The s-video output of most computer video cards is actually quite poor.

One of the major reasons for using an HTPC is to use it as a high quality scaler. The "Home Theater Computers" forum is the best place to learn about this.

Your questions suggest that you may not have had much experience with assembling your own PC. Unfortunately, although you can buy prepackaged HTPCs from a few places, they still can't be treated as "black boxes" the way you can standalone DVD players and scalers. You personally have to be responsible for ironing out the quirks. That's fine if you enjoy solving puzzles and paying close attention to details. It's not so good if you just want to watch movies without worrying about what might go wrong.

I hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Selden, your reply was most helpful.

So , I want a good scaler that matches the output of my pj (800x600)...can you or someone suggest which one?

I have built my own pc and have studied the htpc forum extensively, so I feel confident I can make out ok.

However, I want the best pq I can get until then.

As I understand your post, since my pj is ceiling mounted, a high gain reflective screen won't really help. So I need to go with what, as far as gain?

Thanks again!

Larry

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Hi,

Scalers will frequently cost over $1000 .... Since you obtained a relatively low-end projector, a HTPC running DScaler should suffice for this application. The picture quality difference between projectors can be much bigger than the picture quality difference between different doublers and scalers, with the current models on the market and/or DScaler.

Not all projectors are always better quality than a good RPTV -- especially if the projector is low resolution, dim, has tearing or major posterization artifacts, poor contrast, etc. I don't know anything about the model you purchased, but hopefully it's one of the better low-end models!

If you buy a scaler, make sure you buy a flexible scaler that will support your future projectors (such as ROCK, LEEZA, TeraNex, etc. depending on your priorities)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The HTPC with DScaler and the right video output card will do just fine deinterlacing and scaling your DVDs to your pj's native resolution.

Various HDTV cards will also allow you to receive and timeshift OTA HDTV signals as well via your HTPC.

For regular NTSC programming, via cable or satellite, your HTPC isn't going to be much help (correct me if I'm wrong, Mark R.!), so you might consider a scaler to help clean that up, such as the Vigatec, Rock+, Leeza or Faroudja NRS. Of those, on video sources, the Faroudja probably does the best job -- they are pretty comparable on film sources, with different features and price points. You should go to the Video Processor forum for more details.

Cheers

·
Registered
15,017 Posts
Larry,

So far as screens go, if you have a relatively bright room (one with windows, without blackout curtains), then a high gain screen is appropriate

(a gain of more than 2). If you can control the lighting, then a screen with lower gain is OK.

If most of the viewing will be from near the center under the projector, then high is better than low gain. If you'll have visitors that'll be watching from a ways off axis, then a low gain screen is better: it'll tend to have the same viewing brightness no matter what the viewing angle.

A lot of people find that a smooth wall with high quality non-gloss white paint does what they want, and it's a lot less expensive. It's the equivalent of low gain screen material (~1.1?)

The major screen manufacturers (e.g. Draper, Stewart, Da-Lite) usually will sell collections of samples of their screen materials. That way you can compare the different materials to find which you like best.

I'll let others comment on HTPCs. I found it too inconvenient. When I want to watch a movie, I don't want to fiddle with the computer. It's a lot of work to get it set up right to avoid that kind of fiddling, and I have other things I'd rather do.

Like participate in AVS :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.