AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking... which is probably a dangerous sign. But since I can't have a dedicated HT in my present home without building on, why not create one with a curtain system (preferably electric, but manual would work) that would create 4 walls?

The room that I'm using is a living room the bleeds into a kitchen area (about 35' x 15' x 10') which also has an open archway leading into another room, two sets of sliding glass doors, etc. It's not a total mess, but certainly less than ideal and in need of treatments.

So I'm thinking about installing curtain tracks in the ceilings which would run as near as possible (within a couple of inches) of the left and right side walls, and then behind the ceiling-installed electric screen and behind the back row of seats. With the press of a button (or maybe a couple of buttons), the curtains would all move into place, leaving slits where you would need to walk through to get to the kitchen or through the archway to the next room. The "curtain room" thus created would cut out the kitchen area and be about 25' x 14.5' (giving up a bit of width for the curtains) x 10'

I'm not sure what this would do acoustically, but it would probably be better than the reflective surfaces that I need to contend with now. Plus, it would create a room with total darkness.

My biggest question besides the feasibility issue (i.e., is it just a nutty idea) would be where to go to find vendor options for the curtains and tracking?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I think it's worth trying. It won't make the room acoustically smaller so you'd still need a powerful subwoofer. But one of the biggest problems with multi-use theater rooms is light control. Short of a wall, it's about the only option you have.

Another thought is whether the HT has to go in the living room. Is there a bedroom you can use?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF
I think it's worth trying. It won't make the room acoustically smaller so you'd still need a powerful subwoofer. But one of the biggest problems with multi-use theater rooms is light control. Short of a wall, it's about the only option you have.

Another thought is whether the HT has to go in the living room. Is there a bedroom you can use?
Oh, I've got all of the sub power a man could ever ask for with the Talon Roc! The Talon Khorus fronts also go down to 20Hz, so no problem there.

As I've thought about it, I'd probably leave the back curtain wall out of it, or at least leave it open when I'm having get togethers so that the kitchen will be easily accessible (for drinks, etc).

I'm also thinking about putting an HT in the master bedroom as a second system. I've got enough "loose parts" to deal with everything in the system except the screen and projector. The Denon 5910 / 5805 combo has a ton of versatility and it would be a shame not to take advantage of the extra pre outs on the 5805.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.