AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a subscriber to DirecTv standard definition programming. I have three analog TV sets and lease three STB's type D11 and D12-500, DirecTV's standard receiver, i.e. one for each TV. I would like to record documentaries from channels such as the Discovery and National Geographic and edit them subsequently to remove commercials. I don't want to pay the monthly fee for a DVR and besides I wouldn't be able to burn to a DVD. Since I am in the market for a new desktop PC, I am planning to use it for recording and editing satellite TV. As I am a novice when it comes to video recording I am looking for advice as to what components to order to turn my new computer into a DVR. My new computer will be a Windows 7 machine. I also plan to purchase one or more HDTV's in the not too distant future. Therefore, I want to be able to record both SD and HD programming. Will I have any problem watching recorded SD signals on a HDTV? I want to be able to watch one channel on TV while recording another. I further would like to be able to watch recorded video on one or several TV's that are not in the same room where my computer will be located. I have heard of internal or external TV tuners that come with remote controls that include IR receivers that plug into a USB port on my PC. Some come with IR blasters that I believe are attached to the STB to change channels. For the blasters to work I understand the STB must be located close to the IR receiver on my computer.

On the following website http://www.hdtvtunerinfo.com/mceremoteinstall.html I found an interesting article about Media Center remotes that lists model Keyspan ER-V2 RF with a range of up to 60ft. Supposedly it works through walls and doors. Can anybody share experience with this or other remotes? My PC is about 25 ft. away from my couch.

I am not sure if DirecTV SD programming is encrypted but I don't think so. I have read that HDTV PC tuners cannot receive satellite signals. However, the Hauppauge HD-PVR or Colossus supposedly is able to record and burn component HD video from a satellite box. Since these products are not tuners, does that mean that I will need to buy a tuner for standard definition programming and one of the above Hauppauge products to gear up for future recordings of HD content? Does DirecTV's standard receiver already contain a tuner? If so would I need to install a PC tuner at all or could I connect the composite video and audio outputs of the STB directly to the graphics and audio card of my new PC? I have a few more questions, e.g. about video and audio cable length runs but since I have already asked a lot of questions I probably should stop right here and first give somebody a chance to respond to the issues raised so far. Thank you so much in advance for help and guidance as I am about to make a big investment into a new PC and don't want to go wrong. Please feel free and comment on anything I might have overlooked. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
With Direct TV your only choice is to have some sort of input board that would receive the signal from the Direct TV tuner, and then use IR blaster to have the PC control the Direct TV box.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.