AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

Im in the process of having a house built. I've already purchased a receiver and speakers. I would like to start playing around with the rs-232 control on the receiver. Is it going to hurt anything if I hook up the receiver and use it without attaching the speakers?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I was thinking. I was just afraid I migt be missing something. Thanks!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
There's a few amps that could have issues being powered up with no load, but I don't see that happening with an AVR.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. I hooked up the receiver but I can't get any audio out through the tv speakers. Any Suggestions?

Receiver is Onkyo tx-nr 709

TV is an LG 46in LCD Not sure of the model right off.

I've tried going into settings and turning on audio out.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcmillen /forum/post/20822431

Ok. I hooked up the receiver but I can't get any audio out through the tv speakers. Any Suggestions?

Receiver is Onkyo tx-nr 709

TV is an LG 46in LCD Not sure of the model right off.

I've tried going into settings and turning on audio out.

You're trying to do what again? Send the audio signal into the receiver and then into the TV, to use the TV's speakers?

How have you connected whatever source device? It may simply be a combination that can't work.

Also, would it be impossible to hook-up one or two of your speakers temporarily? (I don't know your situation, I'm just thinking it would be easier to have a speaker or two hooked up to test the thing out fully)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Walbert

The home theater is going into our new house but I wanted to start playing with the rs232 control ahead of time. I'm using in-wall and in-ceiling speakers so I didn't really want to get them out of the box just yet.

Here's what I've done so far:

Hook up DirecTv to receiver via hdmi

Connect receiver hdmi out to LG tv hdmi 1

Enable audio out on receiver hdmi settings

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made a little progress. I can get audio from my xbox 360 (connected to receiver via hdmi) through the tv. I'm guessing the DirecTv issue has something to do with DRM. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I now have everything set up so that I can switch back and forth from DirecTv programming to the receiver (which only has xbox hooked up at the moment). This is all I need to be able to start playing with rs232. However, it would be nice to know what the deal is with DirecTv. So if you have any thoughts, they are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.