AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a HTPC. The motherboard has a coaxial, digital out. I'm going to connect that straight to an unused coax-digital input on my receiver.

I have a ton of 3-foot, quality, shielded RCA audio cables lying around, but no "dedicated coaxial digital cables." Trying to avoid spending another $50 on one.

A 3-foot cable would be more than long enough to reach; can I get away w/my idea, or do I need a proper, 75-ohm coaxial cable for this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
911 Posts
It really depends on how over engineered your cables are. Your best bet would be with one of the composite video cables (the yellow one in a red, white, yellow bundle).

Try it out and if it works be happy and don't try a real AC3 cable until you are ready to buy one because you just might see a difference and then want to buy it.

BTW - most big box stores and RS will let you return them if/when you want to try one out.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
For 3ft, anything with RCA ends will do it. That's way too short for an impedence mismatch to cause a problem. $2 is more like it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm looking forward to hearing more on this, as I quite frankly did not think that sort of answer would be forthcoming (but I'm glad it was).

I just bought this inexpensive 3-foot composite video + toslink cable combination from Radio Shack for $7.97 (US). The two cables are joined (like typical 2-conductor wire), but they separated quite easily. I did not want to spend a bunch of money on an optical cable, so this was the best deal I could find. The optical seems to work just fine.

But then I needed to connect the coax of my DVD to my sound processor. Since I had just split the cable, I decided to try it. It worked fine (as far as I can tell) but I am curious if there are any special electrical requirements for AC3? It seems one time I read it should be "75 ohm", but this is just from memory and from a time when I did not have the need (also, now that I know more, it sounds suspiciously like antenna coax, so maybe me or the other had the facts confused).

Since we are talking digital here, I figure it either works or it doesn't (within reason).

Thanks in advance for the information.

Eric

ps. RS has some other "toslink" deals like the 12-foot cable, mentioned above, for $9.97, a 4-way toslink selector switch for $9.97, and an in-line optical signal amp for $9.97.

-ew

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Try it out and if it works be happy and don't try a real AC3 cable until you are ready to buy one because you just might see a difference and then want to buy it.

Remember, a "good" cable isn't going to sound slightly better than a basic one. Either the basic cable isn't going to be able to accurately carry the digital signal - in which case there will be obvious errors and it will sound like crap - or the basic cable will work and it'll sound as good as your are going to get regardless of how much you spend.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Salmoneous,

Agreed, assuming you know what crap sounds like. Think of all those owners of Bose systems that are blissfully ignorant.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Don't worry about the impedance.

A composite video cable like the one you are using is 75 Ohms anyway the same as a "properly" labelled digital coax cable.

No worries.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by colinsm
Salmoneous,

Agreed, assuming you know what crap sounds like. Think of all those owners of Bose systems that are blissfully ignorant.
Digital audio crap can be recognized universally by novice and expert alike.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Digital audio crap (DAC) - That really has a nice "sound" to it :D

·
Registered
23,251 Posts
Quote:
Salmoneous,

Why is that necessary? It truly provides no insight or helpful info.

Like sheep... IMO.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ratman
Why is that necessary? It truly provides no insight or helpful info.

Like sheep... IMO.
Ratman,

Did you read the whole thread? I was responding to something he said previously.

·
Registered
23,251 Posts
Yes. I was referring to what Bose and/or Bose owners has to do with this thread, other than to inject the typical Bose statements by lemmings.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Well if you felt my post added no value to the thread I don't see how your response was of any value either.

If you wanted to keep thread value to your high standards, you could have PMd me letting me know that my forum etiquette was lacking.

At least I took the trouble to answer the original posters query. You didn't even do that.

But I see from your profile that you have two BOSE systems so now I understand the motivation behind your post - you took it personally.

To quote you:
"Do you get a kick out of 'nit-picking' everyone's post? Does that make you smarter? Does it provide some type of self gratification?"

-Ratman, October 10th, 2004

Thanks for keeping up the thread value.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
23,251 Posts
Quote:
Well if you felt my post added no value to the thread I don't see how your response was of any value either.

My response, IMO, adds value to keep the 'ad-naseum' Bose comments in check.

If you wanted to keep thread value to your high standards, you could have PMd me letting me know that my forum etiquette was lacking.

Not my high standards. Just that I get tired of reading cliches about Bose from individuals in posts that have nothing to do with Bose.

At least I took the trouble to answer the original posters query. You didn't even do that.

You are a hero! You took the trouble to seek out other posts made by me. Please, look for the other ones where I answered this same question over a dozen times before. No need for me to reply. You all had it covered.

But I see from your profile that you have two BOSE systems so now I understand the motivation behind your post - you took it personally.

I don't have Bose "systems". I have Bose 901's, 301's and a VCS-10. All speakers. Most of the 'bashing' pertains to the Lifesytle and AM systems.

Had them all (except the VCS-10) for over 20 years. Quite happy.

To quote you:
"Do you get a kick out of 'nit-picking' everyone's post? Does that make you smarter? Does it provide some type of self gratification?"

-Ratman, October 10th, 2004

MY... you've done your homework! My posts to tvtech1 are not your concern. You've checked up on my posts, read some of his.

Thanks for keeping up the thread value.

NO! Thank YOU for degrading the tread with unnecessary comments.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by EricJRW
Digital audio crap (DAC) - That really has a nice "sound" to it :D
LOL!! :D Very creative.

I can assure you guys, I know what "crap" as well as "digital stutter and other noise" sounds like.

While it's not high-end, here's the sound part of my HT rig.

Denon 3803

Axiom M22Ti mains

SVS PB2-Plus sub

12ga Sound King speaker wire

Gold plated banana plugs on both ends

Blue Jeans Cable interconnects

Panamax Max e5100 AC filter/surge protection

I will give the everyday interconnects a shot as soon as my HTPC case gets here. It shipped today. :) Thanks for all the advice and help.

No comments on the Urinary Olympics happening in this thread. ;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
"Urinary Olympics" LOL - My thoughts exactly - I was thinking of the novels that could be written in the snow...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.