AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm just wondering if anyone has had any success using their old sattelite mount to erect a rooftop antenna. I'm in the process of constructing a 4 bay, either using PVC or by mounting the elements directly to a piece of steel tubing (with spacers, of course), and the old sattelite mount would just be perfect, if it will hold up. It's in a great spot on the roof, and the wiring is already run, so all I'd need to do it mount it and plug it in.


What says the board?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,282 Posts
As long as it's location is suitable for OTA reception, it will be fine.


Since we don't know what direction an antenna mounted on it can face relative to where your towers are at, we cannot provide a firm answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 /forum/post/18295057


As long as it's location is suitable for OTA reception, it will be fine.


Since we don't know what direction an antenna mounted on it can face relative to where your towers are at, we cannot provide a firm answer.

Sure, but assuming I could point my antenna in precisely the right direction, there shouldn't be any issues with using the offset-style satellite mount that's already up there for mounting a taller (but probably lighter) apparatus?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
Jstarling: I have my smaller antenna mounted just that way. It works great. My VHF-LO is about 60 degrees away from the antenna farm where the other UHF transmit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstarling82 /forum/post/18295404


Sure, but assuming I could point my antenna in precisely the right direction, there shouldn't be any issues with using the offset-style satellite mount that's already up there for mounting a taller (but probably lighter) apparatus?

As long as you don't give the wind more leverage to rip the mount off the roof...


It's your call in the end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokybob /forum/post/18295966


Jstarling: I have my smaller antenna mounted just that way. It works great. My VHF-LO is about 60 degrees away from the antenna farm where the other UHF transmit.

That's about what I'm talking about doing. I need to point SE, and the mount is on the northern corner of the house, but the placement and the angle gives me a pretty good line of site back through the trees that would otherwise be in the way from any other angle. I think my antenna will be lighter than the dish that's up there, but the added torque is my main concern. No doubt in my mind I could figure out a way to mount it and aim it the way I need to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,880 Posts
I've installed several 4 & 8 bay antennas and smaller yagis on satellite dish mounts and have never has a problem. I just installed a 4-bay on a sat mount earlier this week.


Make sure you have the biggest longest lag bolts possible and that they are hitting a thick stud. If unsure of stability, you can add braces to make it more stable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
I'm using my old satellite mount also. I have a combo antenna. UHF Yagi with 8 element vhf. My mount is mounted on the eve of the house, not on the roof. I live in south Texas & the antenna survived hurricane Dolly a couple of years ago. We had sustained winds of over a hundred miles per hour. The mount held rock solid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, guys! I'm finishing up construction of my antenna tonight, and I hope to have this thing mounted tomorrow evening!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are a couple of pictures of the current mount. It wasn't terribly complicated, and three heavy duty screws to attach the spine to the existing bracket has this thing well secured. Unfortunately, I can't pick up jack from this position, so I'll be moving it to another location, provided I can find a signal elsewhere on the roof.

 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top