AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this has been addressed already, but the Search page seems to be perpetually overloaded lately.

Has anyone had any experience with Firewire drives such as the ADS Technologies 1394 Drive Kit? What I am wondering is how many drives can be daisychained before performance becomes unsatisfactory for streaming video to the drives.

The ADS web site says you can daisychain up to 63 devices, but I'm sure that latency would be horrible with 63 hard drives hooked end-to-end.

Also, has anyone tried setting up multiple firewire drives as a software RAID using Win2K? If so, what level of RAID seems to offer the best performance?

TIA

------------------

Buddy Yaussy
My HT Page

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I have one of the Pyro kits and it's working fine, even though it's one of the older models. I actually need to get the controller swapped out, but it's working so well I haven't been in a hurry. If you're buying now, look for one that has the Oxford911 bridge board, which enables speeds closer to the native ATA/100 interface.

I have an 80-gig Maxtor drive in it and mostly use it to store my CD collection, about 35GB, and for backing up my internal storage and documents. About a year ago I paid around $360. It has three connectors on the back for additional devices.

As I recall on a Macintosh, the limit is around 30 devices on two different busses (no more than 16 cables between devices on any single bus), which every Mac has except certain Powerbooks, which only ship with one.

I don't know about the Windows side, but I would guess it has the same limitations and 30 hard drives seems like a decent practical limit. How would you map all those drives to driver letters in Windows?

Dennis

------------------

Dennis Whiteman

FastPipe Media, Inc.

[This message has been edited by ultimate (edited 05-20-2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.