AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it is at all possible to use the USB ports on the LCD or Plasma TVs to watch divx or avi files? For instance loading a USB memory stick with a Divx or AVi or MPEG file and inserting into the TV and being able to watch that program on the TV?

·
Registered
228 Posts
No, being able to read those files requires a decoder that TV's afaik do not possess.

If you want to play movies via USB, you need another piece of hardware, such as an Xbox360 or PS3. While I'm unsure about what the PS3 can play, the Xbox360 can play WMV format movies via a USB flash drive.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashakouri1 /forum/post/0

Could you hook up your computer to the TV via USB and try to play the divx and/or avi/mpeg files? Or do you need a xbox 360 or media center or AppleTV?

A computer will work fine too. In fact it would be the most flexible solution since you could just download a player/codec to support whatever format the movie might be stored in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here are some that will play DivX from USB or SD slot

Philips DVP5960 w/USB slot

LG DVD Player with SD slot (DN191H)

LG RC199H DVD Recorder

LG V194H DVD Combo

LG DR1F9H DVD Recorder

Toshiba Portable DVD-P with SD slot models 1700, 1850

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes you can play divx, avi, wmv9, mp3, jpg and other formats.

Some displays (plasma or lcd) have usb ports where you can connect for instance a 4gb usbkey with a movie on it and play it directly without any add on device.

Here are some models that can handle that playback:

Philips 42pf9731

Philips 42pf9831

Some Pionneer with MediaManager.

Some samsung

Also some of these displays include an ethernet plug. It means you can connect it to your PC (also via WIFI) directly and play the files from your pc...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can someone tell me how to activate the usb to play movies (which is the source on servise manual)? I have the PHILIPS 32PFL5206H/58 and it says that it can play only foto or sound.I have done this upgrade on my LG 19" tv , and it was to easy with the menu, but in PHILIPS tv i cant understand.Thank You All.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I don't think USB ports are a good reason to buy a new TV. The easiest solution is to plug a laptop into the TV or a dedicated media player device. I would not recommend buying a DVD player when Blu-ray players now cost so little more.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerging /forum/post/21170785

I don't think USB ports are a good reason to buy a new TV. The easiest solution is to plug a laptop into the TV or a dedicated media player device. I would not recommend buying a DVD player when Blu-ray players now cost so little more.

I agree. Most Blu-Ray players with internet conductivity offer Divix capability. I down load free Divix movies from the web on to my flash drive and play them on my Panny Blu-Ray player.

Ian

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samchn07 /forum/post/21260030

You can rather convert those files in the appropriate format, the one which is supported by your device (TV). Then copy these files to pen drive, and plug into the USB. BTW why don't you watch movies online instead?

By downloading movies and TV shows on to your flash drive, you can plug them into your Blu-Ray player or Play station media devise and watch them (some of which are even in HD) on your big screen TV. I do it all the time on my Panny DMP85 BD player and the movies are free.

Ian

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.