AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a used Pre-amp, and I come across a LOT of used Audio Research models. So many that it caused a bit of concern, as to why you see so many on the used market. However, I guess what I'm told is owner's are so loyal, they keep upgrading, and that's what you see them selling-off; their last-gen model.

I'm of an age, that...as a budding audiophile...Audio Research used to represent that "read about it in Stereophile only", "I can only hope to grow up being able to afford that kind of gear" kind of piece. So it's very tempting, to see so many models between like $500-1,000 on the used market.

Problem is, there are sooo many models...tube, ss, hybrid...SP, LS...single-digit models, double-digit models...mk1, mk2; it's hard to tell where the sweet spot is.

I've tried to Google and read, and do my homework; you read how ARC tried to introduce some "entry-level" models, that were inexpensive, but not really up to ARC performance standards. So it makes me wonder am I better off going older, but higher up the food chain? Are the SS models any good? Are the hybrids the best of both worlds?

All I know is I probably can't afford a model, new enough to have a remote...lol...which would be nice. But what should I look for, as the best bargain...bang for the buck...in a used ARC Pre?

CD

·
Registered
210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/19645784

I'm in the market for a used Pre-amp, and I come across a LOT of used Audio Research models. So many that it caused a bit of concern, as to why you see so many on the used market. However, I guess what I'm told is owner's are so loyal, they keep upgrading, and that's what you see them selling-off; their last-gen model.

I'm of an age, that...as a budding audiophile...Audio Research used to represent that "read about it in Stereophile only", "I can only hope to grow up being able to afford that kind of gear" kind of piece. So it's very tempting, to see so many models between like $500-1,000 on the used market.

Problem is, there are sooo many models...tube, ss, hybrid...SP, LS...single-digit models, double-digit models...mk1, mk2; it's hard to tell where the sweet spot is.

I've tried to Google and read, and do my homework; you read how ARC tried to introduce some "entry-level" models, that were inexpensive, but not really up to ARC performance standards. So it makes me wonder am I better off going older, but higher up the food chain? Are the SS models any good? Are the hybrids the best of both worlds?

All I know is I probably can't afford a model, new enough to have a remote...lol...which would be nice. But what should I look for, as the best bargain...bang for the buck...in a used ARC Pre?

CD

Not sure about that. The graphs posted here would seem to indicate otherwise. You can decide for yourself by going to the dedicated threads for each and comparing graphs.

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Came across this, http://www.arcdb.ws/index.html which is helpful, as far as determining the age or lineage of models. However, I'd still be interested in some real-world feedback, from ARC enthusiasts.

What's the bargain of the past models, under ~$1k.

CD

·
Registered
210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/19646366

Came across this, http://www.arcdb.ws/index.html which is helpful, as far as determining the age or lineage of models. However, I'd still be interested in some real-world feedback, from ARC enthusiasts.

What's the bargain of the past models, under ~$1k.

CD

There are multiple posters in the Anthem MRX receiver thread that own or have owned both. I've heard their initial impressions but it might be interesting to ask them again, now that they've had a month or so of experience with the new units.

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzzo /forum/post/19647020

There are multiple posters in the Anthem MRX receiver thread that own or have owned both. I've heard their initial impressions but it might be interesting to ask them again, now that they've had a month or so of experience with the new units.

What new units; Anthem MRX? Dude, are you trying to steer me away from ARC toward an Anthem? Seriously...no offense...but I hate it when people do this. I ask about ABC and people are like "you should go with XYZ instead".

It's just sooo agenda-driven. If you like Anthem, that's cool. Why come into my ARC thread though? I'm sure the people who like C-J would like to steer me towards C-J; people who like Cary, probably think I should try Cary. But can't I make up my own mind? I asked about ARC. I mean it almost makes me feel like you're a dealer or something.

CD

·
Registered
10,242 Posts
I only go back as far as the ARC SP16 which probably goes for ~1.4-1.5K used with the phono stage. I bought mine new.

Based on 12AX7 tubes and comes with remote but no knobs or tone/balance controls. It's the last gen before AR started their JFET/tube hybridizing of preamps. You may find older linestages that will outperform it, since it was the lowest model in their lineup when I bought it. Prices jumped rapidly with the LS16/25 models.

Have you checked audioasylum or audiokarma forums? There's a lot of audiophile & vintage folks hanging out in both. I think those forums, especially audioasylum, could give you a better answer than here where home theater and more modern gear seems to be the focus. There's posts about every conceivable amp/preamp made at audioasylum. And a lot of ARC fans

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/amp/bbs.html
http://audiokarma.org/forums/

Seems to my feeble memory that the SP-9 or LS-9 (?) seems to get a lot of praise as one of the older ones to look for.

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 /forum/post/19647506

I only go back as far as the ARC SP16 which probably goes for ~1.4-1.5K used with the phono stage. I bought mine new.

Based on 12AX7 tubes and comes with remote but no knobs or tone/balance controls. It's the last gen before AR started their JFET/tube hybridizing of preamps. You may find older linestages that will outperform it, since it was the lowest model in their lineup when I bought it. Prices jumped rapidly with the LS16/25 models.

Have you checked audioasylum or audiokarma forums? There's a lot of audiophile & vintage folks hanging out in both. I think those forums, especially audioasylum, could give you a better answer than here where home theater and more modern gear seems to be the focus. There's posts about every conceivable amp/preamp made at audioasylum. And a lot of ARC fans

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/amp/bbs.html
http://audiokarma.org/forums/

Seems to my feeble memory that the SP-9 or LS-9 (?) seems to get a lot of praise as one of the older ones to look for.

Thanks Steve. I currently don't have any need for a Phono section, so I'm trying to decide do I look at an LS, or should I go SP...because I might be intrigued to check Vinyl out again in the future.

I'll check those forums out...although I try not to get sucked in to too many boards. Only so many hours in a day, ya know.

CD

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/19647145

What new units; Anthem MRX? Dude, are you trying to steer me away from ARC toward an Anthem? Seriously...no offense...but I hate it when people do this. I ask about ABC and people are like "you should go with XYZ instead".

It's just sooo agenda-driven. If you like Anthem, that's cool. Why come into my ARC thread though? I'm sure the people who like C-J would like to steer me towards C-J; people who like Cary, probably think I should try Cary. But can't I make up my own mind? I asked about ARC. I mean it almost makes me feel like you're a dealer or something.

CD

This poster is confusing ARC with Paradigm's Advanced Research Center, thus the ARC reply. Paradigm and Anthem are one and the same.

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/19648018

This poster is confusing ARC with Paradigm's Advanced Research Center, thus the ARC reply. Paradigm and Anthem are one and the same.

Ah; well, that's why I put (Audio Research) in the title...so as not to confuse it with any other ARC. However, it is clear to me...way before now...that people don't fully read before they post around here.

CD

·
Registered
210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/19647145

CD

Actually, I skimmed your post and made the innocent mistake of assuming ARC applied to an Anthem product. Now, if you'll read my post more closely you might realize I was only trying to be helpful and point out data you might not have been aware of. I raised the issue and didn't even offer an opinion. I couldn't care less what you buy and I swear I would never consider investing even a gnat's fart worth of effort convincing you to buy anything.

Maybe the reason this has happened to you before with others is you habitually make the mistake of assuming selfless charity is instead agenda and ulterior motive. My suggestion would be to eliminate the 80% or so of your post that was unecessary, get to the point, and then maybe others will bother to read the whole thing.

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzzo /forum/post/19648944

Actually, I skimmed your post and made the innocent mistake of assuming ARC applied to an Anthem product. Now, if you'll read my post more closely you might realize I was only trying to be helpful and point out data you might not have been aware of. I raised the issue and didn't even offer an opinion. I couldn't care less what you buy and I swear I would never consider investing even a gnat's fart worth of effort convincing you to buy anything.

Maybe the reason this has happened to you before with others is you habitually make the mistake of assuming selfless charity is instead agenda and ulterior motive. My suggestion would be to eliminate the 80% or so of your post that was unecessary, get to the point, and then maybe others will bother to read the whole thing.

I appreciate you're explaining to me how to post. Any other blame you'd like to lay at my feet, for your mistake?

I only put the (Audio Research) in the title for people like you to begin with, and you still miss it. So...was that superfluous too?

CD

·
Registered
210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/19649738

I appreciate you're explaining to me how to post. Any other blame you'd like to lay at my feet, for your mistake?

I only put the (Audio Research) in the title for people like you to begin with, and you still miss it. So...was that superfluous too?

CD

Based on the manner of your post, I assumed you got the title wrong. Now that I realize there actually is a company by that name, you're absolutely right and fully justified in throwing a childish, hissy fit. Enjoy the holidays.

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52
Their newest SP17 is "only" MSRP of $2995. Not really that expensive when you look at what some of todays AVR's are going for. Good review below, but you may have already read it.

http://www.audioresearch.com/SP17reviewToneAudio.pdf
Wish it were in the cards right now brother. Still gotta try and stick with a used model for now.

CD

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner
Wish it were in the cards right now brother. Still gotta try and stick with a used model for now.

CD
Quite alright, easy to understand at this time. Just one of their models to keep a lookout for at Audiogon or maybe even Videogon. With the link you provided there are many reviews, as you probably realize by now, that will give you all the info you need to find that "dream" machine. Mine is a McIntosh. Missed out on an excellent buy at my dealers putting all my money into a new motorcycle and its changeover to my liking. Keep looking you'll come across the deal you can't pass up. Hope its sooner than later.
Happy Holidays and be safe. Remember tis the season for the amateur boozers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts