AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I currently have a DLP projector that I want to graduate from. It's a nice unit, but it's like I am looking through a screen door when I view most material and the fan noise is driving me crazy. This was all the more obvious after I saw what a Runco CRT displayed at a business (what a picture!). My HT is about 15'x20', and I have a 100" 16:9 Stewart Firehawk Electroscreen. I would ike to use component inputs as that is what I have running behind the ceiling drywall to the mounting location (~14' from screen). What units should I be looking at that: 1) are within my price range, 2) are fairly easy to set up, 3) are compatible with my "grey" screen, and 4) are relatively quiet and 5) aren't too huge? My viewing habits are about 50% DVD (Pan RP91), 50% TV (mot5100-Comcast HD).

·
Registered
631 Posts
2) Will always be debatable - no CRT is tweak free compared to a digital projector.

5) Is going to be tough :)

I'll let the real experts comment on what's out there at your price point but a good starting point is to get on Curt Palme's mailing list and poke around on fleabay a bit.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
VINCE

any crt projector will look very bad with a firehawk screen

if you have to keep the firehawk just buy a better digital projector

XANATOS

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
If you're interested in a Marquee 8111, feel free to PM me. I might be willing to let it go. I have pics of its tube faces in my gallery.

CJ

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Vince

Before you jump into CRT, you are doing the right thing about asking questions.

You can get a real nice CRT for $1,500.00.

More work then a digital unit. It's depends on how much you want to get into tweaking on how much work will be involved.

Some CRT's are pretty quite. Barco, Electrohome.

Get rid of the gray screen.

Deron.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Another thing to consider, is the crt will likely have a shorter throw than the digital. You'll likely need to move the projector closer. My electrohome marquee 8500 is mounted about 11' from a 120" diag (4:3) screen.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Without spending hardly any money, I would sit further away to reduce the screen door effect and build a hushbox for the projector. That screen you have is no good for a CRT, and a CRT won't be any quieter and certainly won't be small. For $1500 you can have a much nicer picture than what you have but you'll need a new screen, a ton of work, and it will still be noisy w/o a hushbox.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
" 1) are within my price range, 2) are fairly easy to set up, 3) are compatible with my "grey" screen, and 4) are relatively quiet and 5) aren't too huge? My viewing habits are about 50% DVD (Pan RP91), 50% TV (mot5100-Comcast HD)."

Basically some of your points are considered trade-off for better picture. However you can look on the videogon web site for PJ's in your range. You could probably get a Sony 1271 front CRT with low hours on the tubes but it will not work optimally with your existing screen. Front CRT PJ's usually work better with normal white screens with gains of say 1.3. If you look around you could probably get an inexpensive 1 gain white screen for a couple of hundred. Noise wise the 1271 is fairly quite but PJ quietness is based on your personal perception. Some want dead quietness and others do not mind some noise. In any case from various comments that I have read most DLP PJ are fairly noisy. You can always build a hush box for either if the noise really bothers you. CRT projectors weigh more and are much larger then a digital however there are smaller and larger front CRT. In your price range you are probably looking at a smaller CRT anyway (ie. versus a larger 8" or 9" front CRT).

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. I really appreciate it. Something told me my screen may be a problem which is why I mentioned it. The damn thing cost me $3K to buy and another $1K to have custom installed within the ceiling cavity so I'm not about to abandon it. I suppose Stewart has material to switch out just the screen part, but it would likely blow the $1.5K budget. The DLP is an Infocus Screenplay 110, and about 3 years old. Though I paid $4K for it, it is old tech now I suppose I should just replace it with some of the new stuff. Funny how a 12 y.o. CRT can still be useful but digital stuff is obsolete within months. I guess I could put it on fleabay (love that name mike) and get maybe $1k for it. That would leave me $2500 for a new DLP which isn't quite enough, but I may be able to raid my wifes wallet too (I'll have to be sneaky though, she thinks the existing picture is just fine). Anyways, thanks again for all the great info.......maybe my next house..Hmmmm.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Sometimes there are very good deals to be had on ebay, but there's also a good amount of risk involved. I (knock on wood) did ok on the 2 PJs I purchased, but I there was probably an equal chance that I'd get burned. I guess it boils down to how big a gambler you are. I'm not one at all, but for some reason I did it anyway.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Vince

If you do buy a newer digital, will you be going through all of this again?

Do some comparing of the different images you get for CRT and digital, some people love CRT's image, some people could care less. Find out what you will be happy with.

Deron.

·
Premium Member
16,740 Posts
Quote:
I'll have to be sneaky though, she thinks the existing picture is just fine
Turn the bulb brightness down a couple of notches each night. Then tell her, "gee, looks like the bulb's going. Hmm, should we buy a new $400 bulb or should we fleabay it while this bulb's still working and apply that money towards a better projector?"

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally posted by marcorsyscom
Turn the bulb brightness down a couple of notches each night. Then tell her, "gee, looks like the bulb's going. Hmm, should we buy a new $400 bulb or should we fleabay it while this bulb's still working and apply that money towards a better projector?"

Oh that's good...real good..Thanks! You must have some really nice equipment at your house! ;-)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Too bad about the grey screen, not much you can do with it besides LCD. With a CRT you can use a white painted wall or what I use, a piece of "Parkland Plastics" for $13. You should have found this forum first huh? I made a comment earlier about "the home theater spot", they just delete posts that expound the virtues of a used CRT. I guess they can't make any money off of you if you go that route. If you're not affected by rainbows there are a few low cost DLPs out there that look OK. But, I don't think you'll get "real" HD at that price. And I don't think that they use a grey screen either. I'm VERY sensitive to rainbows, hence my choice of CRT. My Barco was $1000 and I'm VERY happy with it. It's very quiet, 1/4 as loud as my PC. As said earlier, sit farther back. Or try to sell the screen too. There are plenty of digital people out there who would want it after seeing the pathetic blacks of their LCD. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Just a thought: Have you though about maybe finding a guy who would be willing to trade your screen for a CRT??

I just got a 1271 with 650 hours from a guy in exchange for my NHT 2.5i speakers, I was originally going to just sell the speakers on ebay, and was only expecting about $600ish for them. He had went over to digital for a variety of reasons--I suspect that If I had a nice screen he would of been intrested in tradeing for it as well.

Also a few things:

1) Almost any CRT is within your price range if you are patent and look for a good deal

2) They take a little while to get use to, but getting them up is not that bad.

3) It is MUCH quieter then my digital.

4) I would think about getting an HTPC setup first, this will make the transition easyer when you do get a CRT.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.