AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
About fair value I would say... Not cheap but then if it works well and you can test and demo and not have to ship it to you then its a fair price...

Have seen them as cheap as 1100 but also asking 2k so YMMV...

Make sure you pair it with a HTPC or scaler as this is another Davis scaler and is pretty poor.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Also of note is that they can have a version of firmware that either has tearing or a green shift....

There is a modified gamma table available from an AVS member MikeFlaster (or similar) drop him a line if you have either of these fixable problems..

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
$1250 is a great deal!! Not that I'm biased or anything! :)

Hey, Phreddy, glad to see you've rediscovered an internet connection. They have those in South America? ;)

Ola - is Ola a common name?? An Ola from Sweden was e-mailing me about DLX650's. Assuming you're a different Ola, I'll tell you what I told him - you'll also need a programming cable.

Mike

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Mike, Yeah back from the hideout but only for a month or two (gotta ship my audio / PJ / HTPC's there, just cant live without HT and sounds)...

Did you see the thread "Is a DL450 with 50 hours worth 600 USD ??" recently ?? I nearly choked !!!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phat Phreddy
Did you see the thread "Is a DL450 with 50 hours worth 600 USD ??" recently ?? I nearly choked !!!
Yeah, it's sad, but look at it this way. The $1,000 or so in depreciation on your Davis is much *less* than the depreciation you would have seen on any other projector you bought 3 (?) years ago. For example, I bought my DLX650 for $2500 1 1/2 years ago. My 2nd choice would have been to buy the Sony 10HT - for I think $6k or so. Now the *new* price is down to $3,800!!

Mike

·
Registered
660 Posts
For anyone who isn't aware, Zenith still sells a version of this pj. If you need a lamp, call a Zenith dealer. (Hint...the closest one starts with AVS...) Zenith's website still had a manual online in *.pdf format.

It's a bit noisy, the scaling is subpar (as noted), but the colors are gorgeous. Pre-proc the image and enjoy!

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
$1250 for the 650 is a great price!

After the tearing and color fix thanks to Mike, I truly feel there isn't another projector anywhere close to it's price with a comparable picture.

I'd be willing to put my 650 next to any of the projectors in the "other" forum with confidence it would best any of the "hot" new ones...

Oops, maybe this thread belongs there too!

Thanks for the tip, Jim. My bulb is coming up on 2000 hours and there's no way to tell if it's one of the 6000 hour bulbs until it goes! (another selling point for the 650- 6000 hour bulb!)

Bob

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Scarbrough
For anyone who isn't aware, Zenith still sells a version of this pj. If you need a lamp, call a Zenith dealer. (Hint...the closest one starts with AVS...) Zenith's website still had a manual online in *.pdf format.

It's a bit noisy, the scaling is subpar (as noted), but the colors are gorgeous. Pre-proc the image and enjoy!

the Zenith is, of course, the 450, not the 650...

Bob

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
[Hey Robert - are you still at Pac Bell? Send me e-mail - see my signature.]

As far as bulbs go - Robert knows this, I just wanted to post it. The bulb for the 650 and the 450 are exactly the same.

Also, there was a post from what seemed to me an authoritative figure that said that the bulbs never changed - just the rating did. In other words, the bulbs that were sold originally and rated at 2,000 hours, they did more testing, and decided those same bulbs they could rate at 4,000 hours - and then they did more testing and decided they could rate them at 6,000 hours!

Mike

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Just to confirm Mike's theory above, this is what I have been reliably informed too...

One issue is that the bulbs wont do 6000 hours of good video I would think they have decided they can be used for presentation for this... I just changed mine at 4000 hours and the difference was not subtle...

Hey 4000 hours from a $400 bulb is still cheap enough...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mflaster>>Ola is perhaps not a common name but then again it's not very unusual and yes, I'm the "Ola" mailing you about the DLX650. I'm still waiting for an answer from Davis, Sweden, about the programming cable. Is there any place on Internet I can buy it from??

Ola

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Soren Fleron of Davis (Denmark?) has said that he can sell you the programming cables. I'll e-mail you his e-mail adress.

Mike

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I may have a spare... Was sent 2 recently but only tested one... One looks DIY while one is obviously the prefessional version... Only need one so I will test and see...

Where are you ??

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
DIY? Where would you get a DIY Davis programming cable? No one knows how to make these cables but Davis.

Mike

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Gerald - I sent you a PM.

Mike

·
Registered
198 Posts
I also need a Davis programming cable, if anyone can help.

My Cinema one, with version 'E' , has difficulty with 800x600 at 72 hz, it scales it to 640x480 and the information menu shows the image as at 60hz?

So if anyone has a cable for sale, or to hire or borrow for a few days, I would be grateful :) ( I will pay all the postage costs)

I would like to load a more recent version than 'E'.

thanks,

Mark G.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
OK DiY is maybee an overstatement but still one is all rubber sealed and orange and one is just a thin cable but I will have to test...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.