AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now , DO NOT Post links to For Sale Models or dollars. This thread is only to state what I or you believe the most desirable DVDR MODELS on the various internet AUCTION sites. AND believe me IT is a HOT market. I will start it.

2005 HDD PIO's(531,533 etc..

2005 HDD and Non HDD Pannys(ES10,30,EH50

2004 HDD PIO's(420 and 520)

2004 HDD Pannys-E-85,E500 etc

2004 non HDD PIOs and Pannys

2003 E-80 HDD- Just sold two nice ones for big bucks. No blackout on dubious VHS input like Pio. Plus it had divide and flex record while Sony and Pio were still masterbating and had neither at the time --Actually Sony still does not and is still jerking it.

There ARE other brands-Toshiba,etc - Chime in - heck I just sold a 2003 Philips 985( that Philips had replaced the glass lens with a plastic better lens back in 2003) for a price that was very good. Considering. Brits love these 985's. Especially if they have that damn lens replaced by Philips. Which does make it a mucho better recorder. The Canadians buy Panny DVDRs like crazy- They are Numero Uno. They definitely have disposable income in the tundra, and well, very much astute electronics Gurus. There is some kind of problem with Canada though. I get the feeling they have been paying $4 a gallon for gasoline for a long time. We are catching Up!!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Since I got my hi-def TV, DVD recorders that accept the full 16:9 image are the only ones I find desirable. Once you get a widescreen, watching 4:3 is not as entertaining.

I'm upgrading to the Sony hdd models with Component In for full 16:9 recording soon, replacing myPanny E80, (great machine for it's time!)

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I think "All" the prices on DVD Recordrs will hit "Rock Bottom" quickly once HD-DVD Recorders hit the market & there should be a ton of them for sale so I would'nt buy ANY used ones now unless you really find a fantastic deal on one. But if your looking to sell one I would think that now is the time to do it. Just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I disagree with that, the SD recorders will get cheaper, but HD-DVD hitting a price the average consumer will pay is years off. (also depending on when the HD mandates really kick in). HD will never go mainstream until the average consumer either has to get it or it is more affordable. plus HD-DVD recorders will have lots of restrictions compared to current DVD recorders.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGuy
2005 HDD Pannys(ES10,30,EH50
Shouldn't that be non-HDD?

Quote:
The Canadians buy Panny DVDRs like crazy- They are Numero Uno. They definitely have disposable income in the tundra, and well, very much astute electronics Gurus.
Yeah, we rule :D

Quote:
There is some kind of problem with Canada though. I get the feeling they have been paying $4 a gallon for gasoline for a long time. We are catching Up!!
Actually, until this year the gas prices were not too bad. Now it's just mental - it's about $3.75 a US gallon right now.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes Black Rose,thanks - a typo, I changed it.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313
I think "All" the prices on DVD Recordrs will hit "Rock Bottom" quickly once HD-DVD Recorders hit the market & there should be a ton of them for sale so I would'nt buy ANY used ones now unless you really find a fantastic deal on one. But if your looking to sell one I would think that now is the time to do it. Just my 2 cents :)
Bill I will bet you a pair of East Texas Russian Wild Boar tusks that even by 2007 this HD-DVD and BluRay thing will still be so screwed up and that very few if any recorders will be out there with the media etc that anyone can afford AND have faith in.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
You still cant even buy a dual layer dvd at a decent price...i'm talking $1 a disc, be years if not a decade before HD recording is worth it!

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Wishful thinking by Bill1313, he's sitting on the fence waiting for Blu-Ray/HD recording to show up so he's not taking the plunge on today's standard DVD recorders while at the same time missing out on all the fun now. ;)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'm eager to move to a SD DVDR that can record full 16:9 image. My Panny won't do it. I'm shopping the SOny hard drive models with Component Inputs that should receive 16:9. I'm in no rush for HD DVD recorders, there is so little in HD anyway to watch and HD-DVD media will be too high priced for years to come for my needs. just use a HD-PVR.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Hey, maybe you guys are right on the prices of used DVD Recorders?

vferrari, No I'm not going to sit on the fence deciding which HDTV Recording system will win I can wait till one wins (Yes even if it's a few years) & No I'm not missing anything right now by not having a DVD recorder because just about everything I might want to see on DVD I can rent which I do.

I'm just not going to BUY or Save things on a Format that you know is going to be obsolete shortly when in the future you know we will be able to buy them in HD & I don't want to have to transfer stuff on an old DVD Format to a new DVD Format like with VHS to DVD why not VHS to HDDVD, unless you feel like transfering stuff again & again & again. :)

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
It remains to be seen whether HD-recorders are hi-def recorders or just hi-capacity SD recorders. I still don't believe Hollywood will ever allow digital hi-def/5.1 recording other than for time shifting on a PVR. If they turn out to be restricted to just hi-capacity, they won't be competitive with DL.

·
Banned
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313
Hey, maybe you guys are right on the prices of used DVD Recorders?

vferrari, No I'm not going to sit on the fence deciding which HDTV Recording system will win I can wait till one wins (Yes even if it's a few years) & No I'm not missing anything right now by not having a DVD recorder because just about everything I might want to see on DVD I can rent which I do.

I'm just not going to BUY or Save things on a Format that you know is going to be obsolete shortly when in the future you know we will be able to buy them in HD & I don't want to have to transfer stuff on an old DVD Format to a new DVD Format like with VHS to DVD why not VHS to HDDVD, unless you feel like transfering stuff again & again & again. :)
transferring analog video with at best 250 lines of resolution to Hi Def DVD at 1080 lines of resolution would be an utter waste of time. All it would do is reveal how truly bad the VHS tapes are. I am sure most HiDef DVD recorders and players will be backwards compatible. Meaning any DVDs recorded now will be able to be played back on Hi Def players, of course limited by the recorded resolution.

All formats become obsolete eventually. Under your theory, I guess it was dumb of us all to buy cassette recorders because now we can burn cds. So I should have sat on the sidelines for 20-30 years and waited for the CD revolution instead of wasting my time making cassette recordings in the meantime.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.