AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find my first projector for a budget HT for $700 or less. I found a used Epson 8350 on Craigslist in this price range. It has just under 2000 hours on the bulb. Can anyone tell me how does the projector compare to a new Optoma HD20 or any other options in this price range? I want 1080p and I will be using it in a basement theater/multipurpose room. Mostly for movies and video games, but occasionally will watch sporting events as well. The basement is a walk-out so there are a few windows, but the windows face east and have blinds that can be closed if needed. Because of this, I should have good control over the lighting in the room. I am looking at projecting onto a screen size of 106" most likely. The projector will be ceiling mounted approximately 13'-14' away from the screen wall. My ceilings are about 9', but I have flexibility in lowering projector placement to screen level if necessary.

Thanks.

·
Registered
765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsfosho  /t/1472669/used-epson-8350-vs-optoma-hd20#post_23314161

I am trying to find my first projector for a budget HT for $700 or less. I found a used Epson 8350 on Craigslist in this price range. It has just under 2000 hours on the bulb. Can anyone tell me how does the projector compare to a new Optoma HD20 or any other options in this price range? I want 1080p and I will be using it in a basement theater/multipurpose room. Mostly for movies and video games, but occasionally will watch sporting events as well. The basement is a walk-out so there are a few windows, but the windows face east and have blinds that can be closed if needed. Because of this, I should have good control over the lighting in the room. I am looking at projecting onto a screen size of 106" most likely. The projector will be ceiling mounted approximately 13'-14' away from the screen wall. My ceilings are about 9', but I have flexibility in lowering projector placement to screen level if necessary.

Thanks.

With that many hours on the bulb, you're probably going to be replacing it sooner rather than later. If you can bump your budget up a couple hundred more, you can get a refurbed 8350 with a new bulb and a full warranty. If you buy the used 8350 and find yourself replacing the bulb not long after, you'll have ended up spending about the same if not more, and won't have the benefit of a warranty. I almost pulled the trigger on the HD20 a couple of years ago, but now I'm glad I waited and got the 8350. I'm sure the HD20 is a fine projector for the money, but the 8350 outclasses it in just about every way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.