AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone care to venture a guess on a collection of LD's value? This is the extent of the titles.

Heavy Metal - widescreen

Bgs Bunny Classics

Amadeus - widescreen

The Bridge on the River Kwai - widescreen

Wallace & Grommit (A Grand Day Out / The Wrong Trousers / A Close Shave)

Star Trek Generations - widescreen

Batman Forever - widescreen

Apocalypse Now - widescreen

Top Gun - widescreen

Blade Runner - director's cut, widescreen

Last Action Hero - widescreen

Interview with the Vampire - widescreen

Twister - widescreen

Braveheart - Widescreen

The Rapture - widescreen director's edition

Rush Chronicles

Rush A Show of Hands

Scorpions To Russia With Love and Other Savage Amusements

1941 - widescreen

Schindler's List - widescreen

12 Monkeys - widescreen

Air Force One - widescreen

Black Rain - widescreen

2001: A Space Odyssey - widescreen

The Fugitive - widescreen

True Lies - wide screen

The Long Kis Good Night - widescreen, DTS sound only

Mission: Impossible - widescreen

Toy Story : widescreen

Showgirls - widescreen

Goldeneye - widescreen

Sneakers

The Hunt for Red October - widescreen

Pulp Fiction - widescreen

The Connery Collection (Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger) - widescreen

A few notable titles would be the Bugs and the Connery titles.

I wouldn't want to cheat the guy plus the price ought to be fair.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
A friend of mine is giving me his lds as he replaces them with dvds. So far he's given me over one hundred!! I have bought a few lds over the last couple of months from a used record store here in the L.A. area. They have all been in superb condition and ran everywhere from $3.00 (Blade Runner widescreen) to $8.00 (the Sean Connery Bond three disc collection which you mentioned). The majority have been under $5.00.

Don't know if this is representative of the market for lds, but in this city nobody seems to want them, so they're certainly cheap.

htomei

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just made a deal for $100. Thanks for the reply. I'm just looking to have a collection to go with a player I've had since 1990. Kind of a nostalgia thing. :)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
gpflepsen,

That's a darn good deal! Congratulations.

I love my lds - especially the cover artwork, which can't be matched with the compact packaging of dvds. And, while the pq on dvds is better, it's not to my eyes, dramatically better. Given the current market, where you can purchase a ld cheaper than you can rent a dvd, it certainly levels the playing field between the two mediums.

htomei

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I didn't know we could sell DVD, or LD on the forum, isn't all deals to be made in the pay as members in the selling department. This is against the rules, if one can do it; what's to stop this place from being a market place on used equipment without observing the rules. :(

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by hob
I didn't know we could sell DVD, or LD on the forum, isn't all deals to be made in the pay as members in the selling department. This is against the rules, if one can do it; what's to stop this place from being a market place on used equipment without observing the rules. :(
It would help if you read the thread :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Used laser disc prices was the subject next ting I read was I just made a deal, for $100 look up your AVS rules you'll that you broke them. If I an anvanced member did that my account wuld be closed period.

We are not dumb or we wouldn't be on this forum but we keep our deal making to PM, that is were you were brazen enough to tell all about the deal.IMHO

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hob
LOL

·
Registered
229 Posts
Used LD prices are all over the map, it just depends on the title. I've been selling my concert and music video collection on e-bay and half.com and most of those that have sold go for around $15. BUT, I sold and 8" China Crisis and an 8" Heaven 17 at auction for almost $100 each! Other titles I have I probably couldn't give away...

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by hob
Used laser disc prices was the subject next ting I read was I just made a deal, for $100 look up your AVS rules you'll that you broke them. If I an anvanced member did that my account wuld be closed period.

We are not dumb or we wouldn't be on this forum but we keep our deal making to PM, that is were you were brazen enough to tell all about the deal.IMHO
I don't know what your problem is. I am not selling, advertising or looking to buy anything here. A product was offered for sale to me through private means totally unrelated to this forum. I came here to get an assessment of it's value. I think the member agreement states that the forum is for free exchange of information on products, services, so on and so forth.

Again, read the post and tell me where the elements of a transaction are. I'll need the advertisement, perhaps the price fixing, and finlay the closing of the deal.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I've been buying up some used disc on eBay. Prices are fairly cheap. From your list, I paid $1 for Top Gun and $20 for the Connery Collect in the past few weeks. Eyeballing the list, I'd say they would sell for an average of $5 each. Cartoons and Music discs more, the common movies less. That doesn't include shipping. It's probably appropropriate to include shipping since that's what people pay. Add another $3 to $5 per disk.

However, collections of LD's sell for a lot less than the sum of the value of the individual discs. Prices for collections are less than half the value of the individual discs, but then shipping per disc is cheaper.

All in all, I'd say $100 is a good deal for you, but not such a good deal that you ripped your friend off.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I can continue to expand my LD collection with prices cheaper than rental fees, I'll do it. I equate LDs with LPs. They have their qualities and are fun because they are different. People can come over and oggle a bypassed technology saying "WOW, I didn't know these were still around".

·
Registered
976 Posts
My guesstimate:

Bugs Bunny Classics - $25

Blade Runner - director's cut, widescreen - $14

Rush Chronicles - $25

Rush A Show of Hands - $25

Scorpions To Russia With Love and Other Savage Amusements - $15

The Long Kiss Good Night - widescreen, DTS sound only - $18

The Connery Collection (Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger) - widescreen - $30

The others are $5 titles. So all in all, you got a good deal, as the buyer. The best way to determine prices is to use ebay's completed auctions search function.

Possibly the most valuable single disc title is Song of the South, on a consistent basis. There are clearly other discs that have sold for more, but if you put them up for auction week after week, their price would fall, because the demand would droop. Daffy Duck's Fantastic Island once went for several hundred dollars, but recently it sold for around $10.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.