AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could get a used Marantz VP12S2 with 1000 hrs for the same price as the new Optoma H76 which would you choose, and why?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
No way to know without someone actually seeing it off the production lines how well the Optoma is going to actually perform. We know the Marantz is a good performer, and it's unlikely the Optoma will far surpass it if at all. You'll be out the cost of a bulb in a year or so if you're an active viewer but...

I think if I had to choose right now I'd go with the Marantz because it is a known quantity, and high performing one.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Depends on the warranty. If an individual is selling the Marantz I believe the warranty is non-transferable. If it is a refurb or demo, sold by a Marantz dealer then it may have a warranty. Without warranty and an almost shot bulb, I would probably check out the optoma.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Good point about the warranty because I've had to send about four projectors in for repair or exchange. I think you might be able to buy and extended warranty from the refurbished shop.

But comparing the optoma to the Marantz optics seemed a little funny. There's alot of HD2 projectors and the Marantz has been the best.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Yes; Marantz warranty is not transferable.

I bought a refurb. S2 unit from an authorized Marantz dealer, which brought price down a lot. I also added a 4 year warranty through Warrantech, which supposedly covers the lamp and is also transferable (in case I want to sell it in a few years).

_____

Axel

·
Registered
111 Posts
George....If you are HD2 shopping....just for comparisons sake, that AV store on 28th St. installed a Runco 710 last night, and had it running at noon today. I don't think it is setup or calibrated properly yet (I don't think they ever seem to have any of their projectors optimal) as they were playing Moulan Rouge and it didn't look that great. Since we're limited in our area as to whats available to see, this is my first glimpse at a Mustang, being in the market myself for a new pj. Just thought I'd pass that on.

·
Registered
111 Posts
George....

Yes it is...Maybe they'll have one down in the K-zoo location. At least it is an opportunity to see one. I'm not a Runco kind-of-guy, so that one is not for me. I think they may be showing a 510 also which has the Matterhorn chip. Hopefully another viewing opportunity before most likely going with the HT1000...(I wish I could find one to see though!) Still have a week before the rebate expires!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.