AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to buy some used speakers off of craigslist. i live here in the atlanta area. what ones should i keep an eye out for?
these will be be for 60%music (super-duper hippity- hoppity rap, R&B from the late 60's up to the late 90's, jazz from for the early 50s to the whenever and old blues) and 40% movies (all movies)
i DO NOT have a subwoofer (yet) so i need something that get down there when i set the speakers to large. budget is $300 - $650 for mains and (possibly) a center. piecing this together obviously.

whats the deal with lower priced speakers i.e. BIC america, polk, etc that people never really talk about or recommend them??? whats wrong with those speakers?? (this is the 'new' part of the question)

and when i lived in maryland i knew a guy who had some powered speakers hooked up to his stereo (like the EV speakers you see at concerts). he just had a regular system (2.0..... not a 2.1 or 5.1). how can you hook those speakers up to a regular AV receiver?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I did a quick search and found some good choices. First, how do you want to use them, serious listening or party. If party where you're more concerned about loud and beat, go with the larger PA type speakers. If for serious listening always go with speakers from a speaker manufacturer. For instance, I wouldn't buy speakers from Denon, Proton, Gateway or other company whose primary products are not speakers. It will also provide a better choice when adding an acceptable center and surrounds at a later date.

On craigslist I saw speakers from Klipsch, Definitive Technology, B&W, M&K... If going with bookshelf models over towers a sub is a good idea. It will free up a substantial portion of your receiver's power to get the best out of your main speakers. I like the Klipsch bookshelf speakers myself. Very good imaging, good output and power handling, good tonal balance, very reasonably priced. You could also check out new reasonably priced bookshelf speakers from companies such as Chane. They're A1RXC and A3RXC are very good speakers at a reasonable price.

The reason you don't hear a lot about the BICs, KLHs (current), etc (actually there is normally a lot of discussion about Polk), is they're usually compromises to hit a mass-market price point for the less discerning ear. They may use lesser quality speakers and crossover components with less stringent tolerances, cheaper cabinets. The may sound OK, but just OK. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
and when i lived in maryland i knew a guy who had some powered speakers hooked up to his stereo (like the EV speakers you see at concerts). he just had a regular system (2.0..... not a 2.1 or 5.1). how can you hook those speakers up to a regular AV receiver?
Your receiver must have pre-outs to use powered speakers. You will need to connect with RCA cables from the receiver to the speakers.

Some powered speakers have RCA connections but most have XLR connections. RCA to XLR adapters are inexpensive and easy to find.

·
Registered
268 Posts
There are/were some RC-70 energy towers in ATL within your price range. I recommend you check them out if they are still available.

Edit: Scratch that, it looks like they sold. Sorry.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Maybe they are still available, didn't think to check craigslist for them.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ele/5708900757.html

Those would be a nice deal for around $500 IMO. Especially if you are waiting on a sub.

The matching center to these is quite nice, it will run about $250-$300 when available online though. Anyway, I highly recommend you listen to these as well if they are indeed still available.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a quick search and found some good choices. First, how do you want to use them, serious listening or party. If party where you're more concerned about loud and beat, go with the larger PA type speakers. If for serious listening always go with speakers from a speaker manufacturer. For instance, I wouldn't buy speakers from Denon, Proton, Gateway or other company whose primary products are not speakers. It will also provide a better choice when adding an acceptable center and surrounds at a later date.

On craigslist I saw speakers from Klipsch, Definitive Technology, B&W, M&K... If going with bookshelf models over towers a sub is a good idea. It will free up a substantial portion of your receiver's power to get the best out of your main speakers. I like the Klipsch bookshelf speakers myself. Very good imaging, good output and power handling, good tonal balance, very reasonably priced. You could also check out new reasonably priced bookshelf speakers from companies such as Chane. They're A1RXC and A3RXC are very good speakers at a reasonable price.

The reason you don't hear a lot about the BICs, KLHs (current), etc (actually there is normally a lot of discussion about Polk), is they're usually compromises to hit a mass-market price point for the less discerning ear. They may use lesser quality speakers and crossover components with less stringent tolerances, cheaper cabinets. The may sound OK, but just OK. Good luck with your search.
serious listening with the ability to get LOUD (if needed)!!!
what model would u recommend?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe they are still available, didn't think to check craigslist for them.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ele/5708900757.html

Those would be a nice deal for around $500 IMO. Especially if you are waiting on a sub.

The matching center to these is quite nice, it will run about $250-$300 when available online though. Anyway, I highly recommend you listen to these as well if they are indeed still available.
thank you so much

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
funny you linked this.... i just read the review yesterday. thanks. but damn what center and surrounds would/could you add to these????
If you have the room, get the same ones... lol

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
If you have the room, get the same ones... lol
Exactly. The best center is another of the exact same vertical speaker. :)

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
im looking to buy some used speakers off of craigslist. i live here in the atlanta area. what ones should i keep an eye out for?
these will be be for 60%music (super-duper hippity- hoppity rap, R&B from the late 60's up to the late 90's, jazz from for the early 50s to the whenever and old blues) and 40% movies (all movies)
i DO NOT have a subwoofer (yet) so i need something that get down there when i set the speakers to large. budget is $300 - $650 for mains and (possibly) a center. piecing this together obviously.
With that budget, you can actually get a decent front 3 speakers if you go with an internet-direct manufacturer. Since you want something that can put out decent amounts of bass before you get a subwoofer, I'd especially recommend these:

http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

Just email them and tell them you need 3 instead of the usual pair, and they should be able to accommodate you. http://philharmonicaudio.com/order.html

Another good option would be the ELAC B5 or B6, which you can order from Crutchfield.com and they will charge you a flat rate of $10 for return shipping per box, in case you don't like them. Or if you have Amazon Prime you can get them at the same price there and most likely get free return shipping. Only caveat with the ELAC is that some people complain that the "matching" C5 center has poor voice clarity, so you might need to use a mismatched center later on if you want better voice clarity...but again, with $10 or free return shipping it's worth a shot, and will save you the trouble of dealing with Craigslist.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts