AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, so I'll try it here.

I recently purchased a used Panasonic TH-65PF9UK that seems to be in good condition just hooked up my Samsung 1080P up convert DVD player through the RGB input and popped in Cloverfield to check out the picture and basically make sure it worked. I don't know if it was professionally calibrated, or how many hours it has, just that it works. I was planning on upgrading to a larger LED TV and A/V system once we were settled into the new house but since I don’t have to spend $2K or more on a TV, I can start upgrading everything else and use this panel until it dies. I am completely clueless as to what I really need to get decent quality picture and sound with this panel or if it really needs to be professionally calibrated for my intended use. I am currently using a Toshiba 46G300U 46" Class 1080P LCD HD TV (which I calibrated with the THX optimizer on the Disney DVD Cars), my main sources of content come from the DIRECTV Genie HD DVR receiver (not sure of the exact model #), and the Samsung DVD player (again, not sure of the model #), the audio is being handle by an old Sony 5.1 box system. I will be upgrading everything and was looking for advice on what is really necessary with this plasma display. This will be used in the living room for everyday viewing, so I'm not looking for a true home theater setup, but I would like to know if I would be just wasting money by purchasing a video processor or would a good quality A/V receiver, speakers, and BD player (I don't own or plan to own anything on Blue Ray as I have nice collection of DVD's) be a better choice for me. I was also planning on using the DVI-D input with a DVI-D to HDMI adapter to connect to either an HDMI switch or an A/V receiver and the optical audio input instead of purchasing the HDMI terminal board(s). Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
18,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLG  /t/1520417/used-panasonic-th-65pf9uk-setup#post_24439804

Hey guys, could someone maybe refer me to another site that could help me?

What exactly do you need help with? Kinda hard to tell when reading that gigantic rambling single paragraph

There is nothing that's "really necessary" with a Plasma TV. I just plug em in, do some quick adjustments, and watch it like any other TV. After a few hundred hours i go back and fine tune the picture settings.

Calibration is a personal choice - you don't NEED to do it but it sure helps if you're picky about PQ.

DVI gives exactly the same picture quality as HDMI - there should be zero difference between the two since they're both digital.

A VP probably would help make DVDs look better, but only you can decide if the cost is worth the gain or not. There is an excellent VIdeo Processor forum here on AVS so i'd inquire over there with any VP questions: http://www.avsforum.com/f/37/video-processors

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yeah, sorry about the rambling, I guess was a little too excited when I was writing and just went overboard!

I had started to browse the owners thread so I guess I will finish and maybe check out the VP forum after.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts