AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you guys are mostly interested in the high-end equipment so this may be a real challenge!

I'm looking for a good (great?) receiver that will LAST and I can buy used for around $200.

Essentials (now standard):

5.1 DD, DTS

at least 1 coaxial input

at least 1 fiber input

subwoofer out

pretty easy, right? I'm far more interested in having the unit for over a decade (unlike the JVC that just crapped out on me). You know, like the real craftsmanship you find from those hifi '70s units that still work perfectly today. Also note I don't have the speakers to be a true audiophile ... those will get upgraded later.

Thanks for any suggestions! Even suggestions on what to AVOID would be useful.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I'd look for HDMI 1.1 receivers, even if you don't have any HDMI devices yet. Tons of those things are being tossed out by people upgrading to shiny new HDMI 1.3 models (and soon HDMI 1.4), apparently unaware that HDMI 1.1 is all they need so long as their BluRay player can decode lossless audio.

Maybe something like http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-RX-V1600-...item45f10611a8 (for a "great" receiver)

or http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-RX-V661-R...item3efcfa9107 (for a "good" one)

When considering HDMI receivers, though, make sure you verify that they can accept audio over HDMI. Some cheaper models act only as video switches for HDMI. This is often referred to as "HDMI Passthrough" or "HDMI Switching" in the literature.

If you're absolutely certain you won't need HDMI capabilities and want an extremely impressive unit, I've had a DSP-A1 for over a decade and it's still going strong (although I've moved it out of my theater and demoted it to the master bedroom). This was once Yamaha's flagship integrated amp (retailing for close to $3k) and it is certainly built to last. It almost makes me cry to see these things selling now for under $200, but here it is... http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-DSP-A1-Re...item3a57b706f3 Note that it does not have an AM/FM tuner, though, so you'll need a separate tuner (like http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-TX-400U-N...item1c10311307 ) if you want to listen to the radio. I can't recall ever hearing anything negative said about the DSP-A1 by anyone in a professional or user review, and that's pretty impressive in itself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
these are great suggestions guys!

does anyone else have any input on this? a unit that you know of that you can mention off the top of your head? I'm just trying to get a jump start on my research.

·
Registered
724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyjenkins /forum/post/18151045

I know you guys are mostly interested in the high-end equipment so this may be a real challenge!

I'm looking for a good (great?) receiver that will LAST and I can buy used for around $200.

Essentials (now standard):

5.1 DD, DTS

at least 1 coaxial input

at least 1 fiber input

subwoofer out

pretty easy, right? I'm far more interested in having the unit for over a decade (unlike the JVC that just crapped out on me). You know, like the real craftsmanship you find from those hifi '70s units that still work perfectly today. Also note I don't have the speakers to be a true audiophile ... those will get upgraded later.

Thanks for any suggestions! Even suggestions on what to AVOID would be useful.

Two come to mind. The first is the Yamaha RX-V2095. It was Yamaha's flagship for a while. Puts out a clean and honest 110wpc and supports 4ohm speakers. Also has pre-outs if you want to add an external amp and supports multi-channel analog input which means when you pair it with a Blu-Ray player that support multi-channel out, you can even get all the newest lossless codecs. A great bargin and a fantastic receiver. The other would be the B&K AVR307 or 305. Owners are usually asking for more than $200 but most don't really sell for that much more. This is a great receiver. 140wpc pure output with all the inputs and outputs of the Yamaha. I love this receiver as well as the Yamaha. I'd buy either of them in a hearbeat and they both easily surpass quite a few newer receivers from a build quality and a beefy amp section. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-RX-V2095-...item4a9eaf707f

http://cgi.ebay.com/B-K-A-V-Receiver...item4a9eac777b

·
Registered
389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay /forum/post/18152198

apparently unaware that HDMI 1.1 is all they need so long as their BluRay player can decode lossless audio.

But only 1.3+ supports DTS-HD MA/TrueHD Codecs. So yes they can play, but IMO the push to upgrade was to be able to take advantage of the lossless streams.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pilot /forum/post/18238866

But only 1.3+ supports DTS-HD MA/TrueHD Codecs. So yes they can play, but IMO the push to upgrade was to be able to take advantage of the lossless streams.

That's exactly the misconception I was talking about.

HDMI 1.1 takes full advantage of those lossless streams, so long as the player decodes them first. Most can. There is no advantage to decoding in the receiver rather than in the player. In fact, decoding in the player has advantages as secondary audio can be included in the decoded audio sent to the receiver.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Interesting - i just sold my 804 (hdmi1.1) because i couldn't even get it to receive lossless codec via a panasonic bd60 doing the decoding and going out via hdmi - it just wouldn't work..... must be just a particular bug or issue with some of the earlier units. I had hoped to be able to do this, thus avoid having to upgrade the AVR but alas.....

Still searching for a worthy AVR tho!!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I would put in a vote for the Pioneer VSX-47, VSX-49, and VSX-59. These AVR's started at 3000 Dollars with the 47 and went up to around 6 grand with the VSX-59.

These are truly beautiful AVR's that weighed 70 pounds and are awesome.

They of course do lack HDMI, but are true classics.

Here is an Ebay listing for a Pioneer VSX-49: http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-ELITE-VS...#ht_500wt_1182

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay /forum/post/18239060

That's exactly the misconception I was talking about.

HDMI 1.1 takes full advantage of those lossless streams, so long as the player decodes them first. Most can. There is no advantage to decoding in the receiver rather than in the player. In fact, decoding in the player has advantages as secondary audio can be included in the decoded audio sent to the receiver.

Right, but at the that time (when the new 1.3 receivers were coming out) how many of the BD players decoded DTS-HD MA/TrueHD? I was looking at a list of BD players that decoded TrueHD/DTS-HD MA and only 9 out of 44 on the list decoded DTS-HD MA (all the upper end versions), and about half decode TrueHD. This probably isn't so much the case nowadays, but it would help to explain why a lot of people dumped their receivers a couple years ago. Not too mention there are other devices out there that do not decode HD codecs, but can pass them through.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
That is a valid point. However, there were decoding-capable BD players available in 2007, only a few months after BluRay launched. While the very first early adopters didn't have them available, a vast number of people who have upgraded from HDMI 1.1 to HDMI 1.3 receivers since then did so because they thought they had to to get lossless audio.

I am curious what other devices pass TrueHD and DTS MA. I wasn't aware they were being used for anything other than BluRay at this time.

·
Registered
389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay /forum/post/18239208

That is a valid point. However, there were decoding-capable BD players available in 2007, only a few months after BluRay launched. While the very first early adopters didn't have them available, a vast number of people who have upgraded from HDMI 1.1 to HDMI 1.3 receivers since then did so because they thought they had to get lossless audio.

I am curious what other devices pass TrueHD and DTS MA. I wasn't aware they were being used for anything other than BluRay at this time.

Off the top of my head, the Popcorn Hour C-200 does pass-through for HD codecs with onboard DTS/AC3 decoder, I'm not sure about the WD HDTV Live, but there are a couple other media players that back when I was in the market were implementing at least pass-through.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.