AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm looking to put together my 1st home theater system and I took some suggestions of others to look on my local craigslist/ebay for a good set of used speakers.  I'm probably just going to get a set of floor standing towers to start with, so I want a pair that are full range and can stand on their own if I don't buy any other speakers or a sub.  I also want a pair that will match well with my receiver.

I will be using this system mainly for movies and some music (think Neil Young).  The room is 20x25, but I don't care how loud they are, I'm just mainly interested in clean crisp movie dialog without the center speaker - just the two sides.  I just don't have room for more than 2 speakers at the moment.

Here is what I've found used so far (prices are for a pair):

Energy XL-250: $200

Bic America Dv-64 6 1/2" 2-way 200 Watt Tower Speaker $290

Wharfedale Vardus 400 Floorstander tower $225

KEF C75 Floor Standing Speakers $280

Infinity Reference 2000.4 6.5" 2-Way $300

Energy CF-30 Tower Speaker $450

Aperion Audio 6T $600

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
The Pioneer FS52 are great speakers and probaby sound about as good as any of these. You can get a pair new for $250 from Best Buy. Those BIC DV-64 are $240/pair new, I wouldn't pay more than $120 for them used. I used to own those Infinities, I like the Pioneers better, hopefully someone can chime in on the others.

Just for reference though, a new pair of EMP E55Tis is $580 right now for Black Friday, would be a big upgrade over anything on that list.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
There is a pair of Mordaunt Short Carnival 6's on Amazon (sold by HiDefLifestyle) for $280 shipped that would be worth consideration.

Only issue would be if you wanted to add to them down the line, since the series has been discontinued (and to be honest, I don't think the Carnival 5 center channel is worthwhile anyway).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yep.  Looks good people.  Which one, the EMP's or Mordaunt-Short Carnival 6?  $280 used on Amazon is pretty good, much cheaper than the EMP's, but are the EMP's that much better?

Thanks for the advice so far.  Remember that I probably won't be adding on to the system.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycle  /t/1500473/used-speakers-with-marantz-nr-1501#post_23968939

Yep.  Looks good people.  Which one, the EMP's or Mordaunt-Short Carnival 6?  $280 used on Amazon is pretty good, much cheaper than the EMP's, but are the EMP's that much better?

Thanks for the advice so far.  Remember that I probably won't be adding on to the system.

If you want to spend EMP

IF you want to save and brand new - $260 a pair, Cambridge S70
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBS70OAK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S70-5-3-way-Floorstanding-Speakers-Each-Dark-Oak/1.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts