AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

In all my research on subwoofers one item that I haven't found good info on is whether or not to go with a used subwoofer (assuming of course it was not abused). Likewise, at what point would a sub be so old that it should be avoided? Is there other criteria to consider when looking at a sub that is several years old?

 

For instance, I found a guy selling a 2008 SVS PB-13 Ultra who is willing to take $900 (new those are $2000, and at $900 it is only $100 more than a new PB-2000).

 

Similarly there's a NHT SW12 for $250, new the current version B-12d is $800.

 

So, what is your criteria/philosophy on used subs? Would you take any of the deals above?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,582 Posts
Depends on the manufacturer...I would not hesitate to buy a used PSA, SVS, HSU, or Rythmik sub because more then likely they have parts to fix in case something fails. Buying a used Epik or MFW would be a bit risky being they are out of business. I would start by researching the sub that interests you and find out if there is any reliability issues. Either way it is not the end of the world Thanks to companies like Parts Express you can find replacement Drivers and Amps to bring a dead sub back to life.



Fyi A used PB13U for 900.00 would be a sweet deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1524184/used-subwoofers-good-value-or-bad-idea#post_24525935


Depends on the manufacturer...I would not hesitate to buy a used PSA, SVS, HSU, or Rythmik sub because more then likely they have parts to fix in case something fails. Buying a used Epik or MFW would be a bit risky being they are out of business. I would start by researching the sub that interests you and find out if there is any reliability issues. Either way it is not the end of the world Thanks to companies like Parts Express you can find replacement Drivers and Amps to bring a dead sub back to life.



Fyi A used PB13U for 900.00 would be a sweet deal.
 

I know! Unfortunately the top of my budget was $800 for the PB-2000, so I'm trying to convince the wife it's a great deal...hence why I'm also looking at other used subs. Good to know about Parts Express, that gives me confidence that if something goes wrong I can fix it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,866 Posts
I've bought one used SVS sub no problem and saved £350. Generally little problems with second hand gear, and for the risk, saved so much money I could probably put together another 5.1 system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,439 Posts
I've bought a handful of subs online and locally with no problems. It's a good way to go with some due diligence. I prefer products or manufacturers that I would be interested in rather than a good deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,575 Posts
If you can go audition it - great.


If you can't it really depends on what you are willing to risk and how warm and fuzzy you feel after talking to the seller.


I have a used Velodyne MiniVee in my 2.1 system; no audition possible and no issues in a couple of years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
Don't walk, RUN and buy that ultra before someone else does. I have a pc12+ and pc12 ultra that we're both used and I'm thrilled with them both. SVS will help you set your stuff up even if you bought it 2nd hand. The nice thing about buying subs from the above manufacturers used is that typically, average consumers don't just randomly buy them and abuse them like say someone buying a polk or klipsh sub from best buy. The kind of people that buy SVS's and Hsu's are more often than not very proud owners of them and take good care of them. Buy it, your wife will get over the extra $100.
 
  • Like
Reactions: oneeyeblind

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I talked her into it
I've spent so much time on this forum researching that when I told her everyone agrees it is a steal she agreed!


I like the advice on a buying name brands that the Best Buy crowd doesn't own and abuse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
Be prepared for her to recoil in horror when she see's how gigantic the PB13 ultra is. They're the size of some PA system subwoofers for live bands. But again, she'll get over it, especially when your watching a movie and the bass is so low it makes your skin tingle.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,780 Posts
$900 isn't a steal, IMO. Probably market value. The sub is 6 years old, so it wouldn't be surprising if you ran into problems with it, even with SVS's sterling rep.


Plus, while the current ultra is $1999, the cost was $1599 back in 2008 I believe.


I'm not trying to dissuade you - just make sure you look at it from all angles before busting your budget.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski  /t/1524184/used-subwoofers-good-value-or-bad-idea#post_24535754


$900 isn't a steal, IMO. Probably market value. The sub is 6 years old, so it wouldn't be surprising if you ran into problems with it, even with SVS's sterling rep.


Plus, while the current ultra is $1999, the cost was $1599 back in 2008 I believe.


I'm not trying to dissuade you - just make sure you look at it from all angles before busting your budget.

It may not be a steal but it is a good buy. ultras do not come up for sale everyday. It also can be upgraded to the sledge amp and he would have essentially a new Ultra for 1300.00 which is 699.00 less than retail. Seems fair to me for a flagship product that has a great rep with a low failure rate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
By all means I would offer him less at first to see if he'd take less than $900, but I don't think your over paying at $900. Ask the right questions. If anything happens to it I'm fairly certain all of SVS's current components will fit that enclosure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
I just bought a PB13 Ultra for a few bucks more than $900. Previous owner is one of our AVSForum member and by the look of it I can say he really took care of the sub. Like some one stated above getting a pre-owned PB13 ultra is really rare at this price range. At least for me it was rare as I have been looking for it for some time. Also based on my research, the old bash amp and the new one does not seem to have a significant difference in performance other than the watt difference. I called SVS before buying and the good people at SVS confirmed that it should not be a problem buying the old version and if at all there is a problem the amp is easy to replace for just under $400 bucks and the new amp gets a 5 yr warranty. So I think that covers the main aspects of owning a used sub. I hope this helps.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,866 Posts
BASH versus Sledge.


I prefer BASH for setting up and adjustment- switches rather than hard to read LCD display (really needs to be on the front)

But the new Sledge amp doesn't suffer from "dirty pot" like the regular pots.


New Sledge has featurs like adjustable high pass, low pass slope, and 2 PEQ.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1524184/used-subwoofers-good-value-or-bad-idea#post_24535765


It may not be a steal but it is a good buy. ultras do not come up for sale everyday. It also can be upgraded to the sledge amp and he would have essentially a new Ultra for 1300.00 which is 699.00 less than retail. Seems fair to me for a flagship product that has a great rep with a low failure rate.


Yup - thats why I said its probably fair market value.


But what are his listening habits? does he need the PB13, or would his money be better off going toward say a new XV15? That could be important since if he'll never use/need the potentional of the ultra, and god forbid his amp needs replacement in 6 months, he's gone way over budget (and have taken that risk) unnessarily.


If he thinks he'll use that Ultra's potential, then by all means


Being someone's who cobbled together the bulk of his system (everything but the center and TV) used, I'm just playing devil's advocate
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's always nice to hear pros and cons. It will be mostly for movies, the area is 1400 cubic feet but is open to an 1800 cubic foot room. Looks like an XV15 is $800 new...would that be a better choice? I don't necessarily require earth shattering bass, originally I had settled on the PB 2000 but then saw the PB 13 and thought why not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski  /t/1524184/used-subwoofers-good-value-or-bad-idea#post_24537634


Yup - thats why I said its probably fair market value.


But what are his listening habits? does he need the PB13, or would his money be better off going toward say a new XV15? That could be important since if he'll never use/need the potentional of the ultra, and god forbid his amp needs replacement in 6 months, he's gone way over budget (and have taken that risk) unnessarily.


If he thinks he'll use that Ultra's potential, then by all means


Being someone's who cobbled together the bulk of his system (everything but the center and TV) used, I'm just playing devil's advocate

You bring up some good points!! Something like a XV15 could be a wise choice...solid performer and a 5yr warranty.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top