AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Vendor
6,218 Posts
I found a SVS 16-46 pci for sale locally for $400. It has a new Sledge STA-400D amp and appears to be in good condition. Does this seem like a pretty decent deal?
Does the amp come with a transferable warranty? If you have a couple years on it I'd say its a fair/good deal. Barring something unusual (water damage for example) the driver should be fine and if push comes to shove you could probably find a suitable driver replacement around $100. You'll see really deep extension from this unit...probably more 10-20hz output than anything else available at even double the price?

Check with svs to be sure the amp has a custom DSP for that particular model though.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The amp is supposed to have around 3.5 years of transferable warranty left. I know this is an older sub and I was thinking since it's had the amp replaced I'd probably not have any problems with it since the electronics seem to usually go out on older subs.

I honestly wasn't even thinking about this being a pci vs a plus or ultra. Would it be smarter to buy a newer sub with a more updated driver? Would something like a pa-150 outclass this 16-46 pci? This is going in a large room 15x30x8 which is why I was thinking the pa-15 might be a decent sub to try since it has a 15" driver. I just happened to stumble on the 16-46 pci on Craigslist.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The amp is supposed to have around 3.5 years of transferable warranty left. I know this is an older sub and I was thinking since it's had the amp replaced I'd probably not have any problems with it since the electronics seem to usually go out on older subs.

I honestly wasn't even thinking about this being a pci vs a plus or ultra. Would it be smarter to buy a newer sub with a more updated driver? Would something like a pa-150 outclass this 16-46 pci? This is going in a large room 15x30x8 which is why I was thinking the pa-15 might be a decent sub to try since it has a 15" driver. I just happened to stumble on the 16-46 pci on Craigslist.
In your budget range 350-400 it will probably outperform subs that retail in that range. But I don't know if you going to do better for that price, you can always wait for a lower priced used sub but many owners aren't willing to ship their used subs very fair so you could be waiting for another good deal. I would at least check it out and see if you can haggle down a bit on price.

. If you have a higher budget then you have more options.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In your budget range 350-400 it will probably outperform subs that retail in that range. But I don't know if you going to do better for that price, you can always wait for a lower priced used sub but many owners aren't willing to ship their used subs very fair so you could be waiting for another good deal. I would at least check it out and see if you can haggle down a bit on price.

. If you have a higher budget then you have more options.
Actually $400 is after haggling down the price from his asking price of $450. I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts about buying this subwoofer now. I need to make a decision by tomorrow because I'm supposed to meet up with this guy on Tuesday. I won't have an opportunity to listen to the sub since we are meeting by my work (he lives over 2 hours away from my house).

I guess I can call SVS tomorrow and talk to them about the new amp and see if it has the proper DSP for this sub.

There is someone else selling a HSU VTF-15H locally for $650 but that's stretching what I was hoping to spend on a subwoofer.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
16hz is ported to 16hz, so a higher ported model may be better option. 16hz model loses a few dB over the larger models. And the PCi is the standard driver...
So the real question is if the standard driver from ~ 10 years ago would be outclassed by a lower end current model subwoofer from an internet direct brand like SVS, rythmik, hsu, etc.

I can get a SB12-NSD from the SVS outlet for $479, would this be considerably better that an older 16-46 pci with an upgraded amp?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
So the real question is if the standard driver from ~ 10 years ago would be outclassed by a lower end current model subwoofer from an internet direct brand like SVS, rythmik, hsu, etc.

I can get a SB12-NSD from the SVS outlet for $479, would this be considerably better that an older 16-46 pci with an upgraded amp?

If you didn't know, the guy Tom in post 3 was the co founder of SVS, so that's his baby so to speak. Id roll with his recommendation

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I spoke to the seller and he said that SVS did load the proper DSP and he thinks there's a sticker on the inside of the amp stating that. I also spoke to SVS and they said that this 16-46 pci would be a pretty large step up from a outlet SB12-NSD and they also said that it would be equivalent to the PC-12NSD which is discontinued and not quite as capable as a new PC-2000. So it seems like if I buy this I get an amp warranty for roughly 3 years and a sub that is small step down from the current entry cylinder model for half the price. This does seem like a somewhat ok deal.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I spoke to the seller and he said that SVS did load the proper DSP and he thinks there's a sticker on the inside of the amp stating that. I also spoke to SVS and they said that this 16-46 pci would be a pretty large step up from a outlet SB12-NSD and they also said that it would be equivalent to the PS-12NSD which is discontinued and not quite as capable as a new PC-2000. So it seems like if I buy this I get an amp warranty for roughly 3 years and a sub that is small step down from the current entry cylinder model for half the price. This does seem like a somewhat ok deal.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in!
The fact that you still have a warranty and your budget is limited this seems like a good buy. Just make sure to get the warranty transferred and you should be good to go.

·
Vendor
6,218 Posts

It really comes down to extension versus headroom. You want the deepest extension possible of course but not at the expense of the subwoofer regularly hitting its output limits over the more common operating bandwidth(say 30-80hz). If you could corner load the 16-46PCi within say 2-3 meters of the key seats AND you kept the master volume levels in the -10 to -15dB range(under reference)...the 16-46 will probably be fine.

If, however, you want louder capabilities, you'll need to sacrifice extension for more headroom 30-100hz.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.