AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy a used SVS Sub PB12 Plus/2 sub. The history is unknown. It has the Bash 900 W amp. What is the track record on these units, both driver and amp? I've got a large open area to fill (8500cf). I've never had a stand alone sub in my system so I'm thinking that at the right price this may be a good entry into a sub.


Thoughts and comments are appreciated.


Blues
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,652 Posts
Can you go to the place where it is a demo it?


As far as I remember, these are very high quality and sounding subs. I had two 2039's. One Plus and one Ultra, and a PB10 and (regrettably) sold it. They know how to build subs. So, if you can demo it, make sure it sounds clean, clear and LOUD. Check the woofers for any rips. Some common sense. Other than that, great 'entry' subs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Thought I'd borrow the thread for a quick question.,


I can get a used SVS Sub PB12 Ultra/2 for 850 euro. Is this an overprice or is it reasonable?


thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
I have a SVS PB 12+2 sub and have used it pretty much daily for the last 8 years. I had a very early amp failure. SVS stood behind the product and sent a new amp. It has been very solid since then. It fills a basic space of about 4000 cu ft that is open to another 4000 cu ft. The sub sits about 12 ft from our seating area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight84 /forum/post/20804054


Thought I'd borrow the thread for a quick question.,


I can get a used SVS Sub PB12 Ultra/2 for 850 euro. Is this an overprice or is it reasonable?


thanks.

I don't think it is worth it. For a few hundred more, you can get a newer one with 3 years warranty and stronger amp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
Cartoys he's talking Euros not dollars. A new PB 13 ultra from L Sound (SVS European distributor ) is 1950 euro which is well more than double the price of the used PB 12 ultra/2 mentioned by whitelight84. The used ultra uses dual TC sounds TV-12 drivers and 1k Bash amp. Not quite as articulate as the newer ultra but actually quite close. The ultra 2 has more output than the new ultra above 40 hz but less below it. In other words whitelight84 jump on that Ultra 2!

Bluessailor, the Plus 2 would be an excellent place for you to start in that enormous space. The plus 2 has a lot of output but you still may want it nearfield in that space.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I'll go give it a listen this weekend and if it all checks out, bring it home.


So what is it worth? Anything under $600 is a good deal, right.


Blues
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
I have a 20-39pc, its ~ 11 years old, never had an issue with it. its loud till this day. tho, i'm looking to replace it very soon!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesSailor /forum/post/20803920


I have an opportunity to buy a used SVS Sub PB12 Plus/2 sub. The history is unknown. It has the Bash 900 W amp. What is the track record on these units, both driver and amp? I've got a large open area to fill (8500cf). I've never had a stand alone sub in my system so I'm thinking that at the right price this may be a good entry into a sub.

That generation of SVS subs did not have the sound quality of the current generation. IMO, other than having great output, it left some to be desired.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch /forum/post/20813950


I have a 20-39pc, its ~ 11 years old, never had an issue with it. its loud till this day. tho, i'm looking to replace it very soon!

With the nice new speakers you have....you should!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang
That generation of SVS subs did not have the sound quality of the current generation. IMO, other than having great output, it left some to be desired.
Curtis you can't make blanket statements like that, without specifics you're likely to be wrong. The Plus/2's were excellent performers especially with the 12.3 drivers. I listen to PB13 Ultra and PB12 Ultra/2 in separate rigs regularly and the newer Ultra's advantage in articulation is subtle and only noticeable with high quality recorded music. It's advantage in extension for movies is a little easier to appreciate but only during the .01% content with high levels of sub 20 hz LFE. So saying that generation of SVS subs "leaves some to be desired" is without merit.

Now the difference in sound quality between Plus models pre-12.3 drivers and the current Plus models is a little easier to discern. Whereas comparing current NSD to older versions is virtually night and day.

I don't think you can't make a broad generalization like "the current generation of SVS subs vs. previous one" without specifying which models (or even drivers).

Your feelings about SVS is prohibiting you from giving blues sailor good advice. He's never had a sub before and he's filling 8500 cu.ft. A used PB12 Plus/2 would be a excellent place for him to start.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How can you tell which generation of drivers are in any given sub? Teh current owner has said he bought the sub about 5 years ago. Unrelated to drivers, he also said it has been in storage for the last 2 years.


Blues
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesSailor /forum/post/20816428


How can you tell which generation of drivers are in any given sub? The current owner has said he bought the sub about 5 years ago. Unrelated to drivers, he also said it has been in storage for the last 2 years.


Blues

The DB12.3 driver came out in May 2006 (I actually got mine in March). You look at the cone to tell which this has. The 12.2 had bright aluminum cones and the 12.3 is all black. You can also get the serial number from the SVS label on the back and ask SVS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodorthopod /forum/post/20815549


Curtis you can't make blanket statements like that, without specifics you're likely to be wrong. The Plus/2's were excellent performers especially with the 12.3 drivers. I listen to PB13 Ultra and PB12 Ultra/2 in separate rigs regularly and the newer Ultra's advantage in articulation is subtle and only noticeable with high quality recorded music. It's advantage in extension for movies is a little easier to appreciate but only during the .01% content with high levels of sub 20 hz LFE. So saying that generation of SVS subs "leaves some to be desired" is without merit.

Now the difference in sound quality between Plus models pre-12.3 drivers and the current Plus models is a little easier to discern. Whereas comparing current NSD to older versions is virtually night and day.

I don't think you can't make a broad generalization like "the current generation of SVS subs vs. previous one" without specifying which models (or even drivers).

Your feelings about SVS is prohibiting you from giving blues sailor good advice. He's never had a sub before and he's filling 8500 cu.ft. A used PB12 Plus/2 would be a excellent place for him to start.

Be that as it may. When it comes to sound quality, until the current generation, SVS was lacking in that department IMO. Sure, improvements were made along the way, but the current generation got them into the ballgame in regards to sound quality....IMO.


Were the Plus/2's ever offered with the 12.3 driver?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
Curtis, I know you said IMO but your opinion was not formed with adequate information. I can have an opinion of an airline or restaurant based on 1) hearsay, 2) a couple of flights or meals or 3) regular use of the product or service. Your opining by 1 and/or 2. I'm going by 3. There's no way you'd make that statement if you heard the PB12 Ultra/2 set up properly. Dual TC sounds TV-12 drivers fed 1k rms produces large amounts of accurate undistorted bass not just lots of bloated bass. MSRP new they were $2000-2300. When SVS came out with Ultra13 w/ 750 Bash it was priced around $500 less. SVS very carefully manages their performance/price leap as each line evolves. The Ultra13 has relatively small performance advantages over the Ultra12/2 in articulation and extension so in order to make the newer generation a sizeable leap in performance/price ratio, the denominator (price) also had to go down with the new line. Throw in the fact that the 13 is a little smaller/lighter and it's better in every aspect by a small amount than the Ultra/2. Just because you've heard a Plus or an NSD in the past doesn't mean you know what an optimized Ultra/2 can do. I have both, trust me.

And yes they did make Plus/2's with 12.3 drivers. That's one piece of info the OP should inquire about before negotiating a price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm told this unit was purchased "about 5 years ago" so I doubt it has 12.3 drivers. Still, if the price is right it would be a good entry into the world of stand alone subs. He is asking $850 OBO, but I'm thinking significantly less.


Blues
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
I'm not a good judge of time but I think it was about 5-6 yrs ago when 12.3 drivers started. Sometimes when I estimate time like this I'm a couple of years off though. $850 sounds a little high since it was around $1200-1400 new depending on finish IIRC. Try to get him down to $750 or less. Regardless you'll be impressed. Did you get a chance to hear it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
CapeCod,


Thanks, that was good info on the driver release date. I had assumed (got to quit doing that) that the 12.1 drivers were in the PB12 Plus/2 when they were released. A quick search shows a release date of May 2006 so the sub I'm considering should have the 12.3 drivers.


The owner and I can't get together until next weekend. He works strange hours and I have to travel for work this week myself. First time in a year too!


I really appreciate all the comment to this thread.


Blues
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,899 Posts
I picked one up used about a year ago. Not sure which version of drivers it uses, I believe they are the latest. Got it for 500.00 usd. I have to say it was money well spent. It makes it's presence known but in a good way.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top