AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience buying a television from Craigslist? I have an opportunity to buy a mint condition Toshiba Regza 55WX800U for about $600. Have researched online to see what these things are going for and the 55" is around $860-$1300 and the 47" is just about the same. Any experience buying a set from C-list would be great.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I can't comment on buying, but if the 4 people who bought my sets after seeing my Craigslist ads were here, they'd post 4 positive comments

I've had cousins buy new, unopened sets off Craigslist, and all were mint. But at the prices some of them sell for, I assume they "fell off a truck", or something of that nature.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonmandts  /t/1524477/used-tvs-and-craigslist#post_24535125

I can't comment on buying, but if the 4 people who bought my sets after seeing my Craigslist ads were here, they'd post 4 positive comments

I've had cousins buy new, unopened sets off Craigslist, and all were mint. But at the prices some of them sell for, I assume they "fell off a truck", or something of that nature.

My hesitation being I am about to drop $600 on a set that is used "mint" condition. I have bought a few older CRT displays on C-list without issue,but those were generally like $100. Without a way to insure the TV I am hesitant to buy a $600 dollar paper weight. I have sold several "mint" condition displays myself and I know how tough financial times are,so I am honest and reasonable. I just don't assume that everyone is? Thanks for the input Spoon man.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Isn't it funny how we will gladly sell on there, and hope buyers don't hesitate to buy our goods? But when we are the buyers, it's a whole new ball game
I'd have to see and fiddle with the set for a bit before I spend $600 on one. Just as you said, it could turn out to be a paper weight and you'd be screwed. But without trying, you could be passing on a great deal. Go to the owners home and take a glance at his gear. If he is an enthusiast, chances are it's a good deal.

I had a hesitant buyer for my old Pioneer RPTV years ago. He was paying 2 grand so I understood his dilemma. I let him sit in my room for 30 minutes and mess around with it. He was smiling from ear to ear the entire time so I knew I had him hooked. Plus I helped deliver the 300lb behemoth.

Have you come closer to making a decision?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonmandts  /t/1524477/used-tvs-and-craigslist#post_24536155

Isn't it funny how we will gladly sell on there, and hope buyers don't hesitate to buy our goods? But when we are the buyers, it's a whole new ball game
I'd have to see and fiddle with the set for a bit before I spend $600 on one. Just as you said, it could turn out to be a paper weight and you'd be screwed. But without trying, you could be passing on a great deal. Go to the owners home and take a glance at his gear. If he is an enthusiast, chances are it's a good deal.

I had a hesitant buyer for my old Pioneer RPTV years ago. He was paying 2 grand so I understood his dilemma. I let him sit in my room for 30 minutes and mess around with it. He was smiling from ear to ear the entire time so I knew I had him hooked. Plus I helped deliver the 300lb behemoth.

Have you come closer to making a decision?
The wife intervened and vetoed the deal. She understands it is a good deal,but financially she would rather me spend $200 more for new and piece of mind that I was protected by manufacturer or extended warranty.

·
Registered
697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein  /t/1524477/used-tvs-and-craigslist#post_24536208

The wife intervened and vetoed the deal. She understands it is a good deal,but financially she would rather me spend $200 more for new and piece of mind that I was protected by manufacturer or extended warranty.

Good deal, it wasn't meant to be. And you possibly just avoided a huge headache.

·
Registered
15 Posts

In the same boat... deal seems pretty good, and on a set that is now discontinued; $1350 for a Samsung 55in F8000 that is 19 days old; originally purchased at Best Buy and the owner wants to upgrade to 4K but is outside the return window. I wanted this TV earlier in the year but wasn't ready to purchase before the deals stopped and supply dried up. 

Anyone know if the warranties are transferrable? Would you make this deal?

Any advice welcome.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adso  /t/1524477/used-tvs-and-craigslist/0_100#post_24762770

In the same boat... deal seems pretty good, and on a set that is now discontinued; $1350 for a Samsung 55in F8000 that is 19 days old; originally purchased at Best Buy and the owner wants to upgrade to 4K but is outside the return window. I wanted this TV earlier in the year but wasn't ready to purchase before the deals stopped and supply dried up. 

Anyone know if the warranties are transferrable? Would you make this deal?

Any advice welcome.

Warranty is valid as long as you have original purchase receipt.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Decided I posted in wrong place...

·
Registered
452 Posts
I guess this is the correct place as it has to do with Craigslist... so I'll post here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonmandts  /t/1524477/used-tvs-and-craigslist#post_24535125

Interesting.

I saw this ad yesterday in craigslist, Seems like a good deal, $700 less without tax.
vizio tvs great prices all sizes

Still all new come with stands, screws for the stand, remote, power cables and box great prices for great tvs the 3d tvs come with glasses as well

80" vizio 3D smart LED hdtv model# M801D-A3 $2,600, no tax.

Same one Costco sells for $3000 plus about $285 tax.

Here is his last few replies after I asked about why he was selling:
Quote:
yes it is the 3d smart led hdtv. No ware or tear great condition
poor grammar.
Quote:
I bought a storage unit full of vizio tvs they are all good its not a business im just selling to get my money back that I spent on the storage unit
Quote:
Storage units that people fail to pay get auctioned off and I bought it in the auction
Quote:
Yes ill let you view it here and it has manufacturer warranty if anything with pixels or board goes bad it gets replaced
Quote:
We could always meet in bothell which is closer to you as well to preview the tv thats where I have the tvs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Jack,

I'm trying to do a little research...I believe on the same person you're questioning in your post. This guy: seattle dot craigslist. org/see/ele/4686202246.html

He's telling me the same thing about the storage unit & the warranty until March 2015. I'm curious if you ever followed up with him or did you back out? And if so, why?

Thanks much! I just want to make sure I don't get burned.

Thanks!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hi Jack,

I'm trying to do a little research...I believe on the same person you're questioning in your post. This guy: seattle dot craigslist. org/see/ele/4686202246.html

He's telling me the same thing about the storage unit & the warranty until March 2015. I'm curious if you ever followed up with him or did you back out? And if so, why?

Thanks much! I just want to make sure I don't get burned.

Thanks!
I didn't for two reasons.

1. Didn't like the fact about his warranty policy which sounded fishy. His version of warranty was he didn't have one for whatever reason, but if something goes wrong with the TV, he said just contact him and he will simply replace it with one he has in storage.
Which leads to
2. He changed his phone/text number four times in one month. Like he doesn't want to be tracked. Had an excuse each time when he contacted me to see if was still interested. Well, if he changes his phone number often, how are you going to contact him if your TV goes bad???

So I ended buying from Costco where I got a 90 day return window and 2 year warranty.
Glad I did.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I didn't for two reasons.

1. Didn't like the fact about his warranty policy which sounded fishy.
Which leads to
2. He changed his phone/text number four times in one month. Like he doesn't want to be tracked. Had an excuse each time when he contacted me to see if was still interested.

So I ended buying from Costco where I got a 90 day return window and 2 year warranty.
Glad I did.
Thanks much for the reply!

Was this the same guy in the CL post from above? "Brian" in Everett?

I'm going to check out the TV tonight but will be trying it first & calling in the serial number to check on the warranty as he doesn't have a receipt.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thanks much for the reply!

Was this the same guy in the CL post from above? "Brian" in Everett?

I'm going to check out the TV tonight but will be trying it first & calling in the serial number to check on the warranty as he doesn't have a receipt.
Same guy it sounds like. I wouldn't do it. I had bad vibes at the end. Why take the risk?
Why would he change his phone number 4 times in one month. He was averaging a new number every week. The reason it took a month with me as I was trying to sell my Nikon D3 on Craigslist and couldn't buy a TV until it was sold. By then, I was leery of him.

Also his version of warranty was he didn't have one for whatever reason, but if something goes wrong with the TV, he said just contact him and he will simply replace it with one he has in storage. Well, if he changes his phone number often, how are you going to contact him???
So if he tells you the same above, RUN!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts