AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get my first projector and I'm targeting under $2k. When i was looking through the classifieds and videogon, I did notice some older, higher-end, used projectors for sale in my price range. Since I have no experience with them, I'm curious as to opinions on it.

How would projectors like Sony VPL-VW50, JVC DLA-HD10K, Sanyo PLV-Z2000, Sony VPL-VW60, Mitsubishi HC6800 compare to the new entry level 1080's like Mitsubishi HC4000, Epson 8350, BenQ W1200, Optoma HD20, Epson 8700UB, BenQ W6000?

Mostly, I'm just looking for thoughts on how newer technology may or may not be changing the projector game. I'd really appreciate any thoughts or feedback.

Thanks,

~Whip

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
You can get 3d with newer stuff, that is about it. VW50 isn't super hot anymore, i would try to get a 60 or 70. HD10k is no good either IMO.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I bought a used RS20 with a spare new bulb for $2500, very happy with it. I bought locally though, so I had the benefit of checking it out first. One other thing in addition to 3D that some of the older projectors won't have is CFI - frame interpolation - if its important to you (like watch a lot of sports). Didn't matter much to me.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Well picture quality may advance as technology advances. Not everyone may agree, but it is true. What is of course true is that manufacturers will inflate their specs faster than the tech. really advances or improves on newer models, so consumers are deceived into that aspect. For examples the W1200, yes it has frame interpolation that older models might not have. It also has onbaord speakers that may seem completely useless to some but others might find as a genius add-on. With onboard speakers you could take your projector to a different room or a friends place and set it up and play on the spot without any other required add-on really. Also with newer projectors they might have faster color wheels. The W1200 has a 4x color wheel which is much faster than its 1st generation model. It also has an improved 1.5x zoom and picture by picture options. It may be brighter than some of the older projectors, quieter. Have a much more efficient bulb which produces more hours. Has a USB port, etc.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 /forum/post/20805121

Several of the models he mentioned are in a different class than 1200.

He mentioned the W1200, that's why I elaborated on it

That is all, nothing more, nothing less

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of the new models, I consider the 8700 & W6000 to be in one group and all the others to be grouped together, but lower on the food-chain (so to speak).

I don't have that type of reference for the older models I mentioned. I simply went with some models that I see on videogon and the classifieds here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts