AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get for about the same price. Is the VW10HT that much better that it is worth getting a used one or will I be happier with the LT150?

I did demo a couple of Plus DLP projectors, which I was told were the same as the NEC DLP pj's. I saw no rainbows and was pleased with the picture.

I also demo'd a Panasonic LCD projector that went for about $3500. It was nice, but the screen door was not very attractive. It was much brighter than the DLP's though. Also, there was significant ambient light in the store.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the Sony, and I plan on getting the NEC, because the Sony has poor contrast and greenish tint.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I just got my first projector 4/5 months ago. I wanted one for a couple years now and earlier Sharp units I saw had the very obvious screen door effect which put me off. My interests are 99% movies so the newer DLPs were just right for me. Later on in this forum I find out about RainBows, fortunately for me I don't see them, nor do I want to find out how to see them. I got the Infocus LP350 which according to everyone has one of the best onboard scaler chips (Genesis) going. I have a JVC723GD dvd player connected by Monster 8meter sVideo cable showing onto a Da-Lite High Contrast PermWall screen. In the dark this setup is fabulous, but during the day any ambient light quickly washes out the picture. LP350 (rated 1300 lumens computer hookup, more like 1000 via sVideo) I understand is about the same as the LT150 good for dark rooms. If you want to watch it like a TV with ambient light most people here suggest you get 2000/2600 lumens. Infocus has a newer projector LP530 rated at 2000/1600. I never seen the Sony VW10HT but it does use a WXGA (1366x768) chip which should translate into a smaller screen door effect (ie disappears quicker 2:1 viewing ratio). You can read all about the LT150 here, and
http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/

has a Sony VW10HT forum dedicated just to this projector.

This is an interesting comparison thread XP21N/LP350/LT150:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...350+and+SCALER

Good Luck

·
Registered
401 Posts
One thing to consider is fan noise. The 10HT is pretty quiet and for me this is a big issue. Also the 10HT is good plug-n-play projector while the LT150 needs significant add-ons to reach it's considerable potential.

bergie33, do you mind telling me where you can get a 10HT for the same price as a 150? I hope to be in the market for one of these and definitely at that price!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've never seen a Sony for under $4500, even B-stock is going for $3500.

The NEC can be had for about $2200. B-Stock $1999

If I can get a Sony for that I'll get right away.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I spent a lot of time looking at the Sony back in spring. I was comparing it to the Infocus LP350, NEC LT150, Sanyo PLV60.

I had pretty much narrowed it down to the Sony and NEC as the Sanyo was (at the time) too expensive and the LP350 had poor contrast and harsh whites (in my opinion).

Even though the NEC was, at the time, $4K....I still picked it. Fortunately, the price dropped before I bought mine so its an even better deal.

Sony VPL10HT vs. LT150 Observations:

Sony:

-Easier to setup, more plug n play

-More flexible positioning

-Less contrast

-Slightly brighter

-Poorer blacks

-Screendoor much more visible to me

-Good color and scaling

-Quieter

-Big (compared to the NEC)

NEC:

-Limited mounting options (fixed zoom)

-Requires a component cable ($25+)

-Far better blacks and contrast ratio

-No screendoor effect from my viewing distance

-Needs a progressive scan DVD player for best results (~$200+)

-Occasional rainbow effect

-More "film like" image (IMO)

-Louder

-Smaller/portable

-Far cheaper for a new unit

In the end, since my room would accomodate the LT150 fine, I had good light control, and I'm not really bothered by rainbows, the LT150 was the obvious choice. It takes a little more to setup, but in the end the picture quality is clearly superior to me.

I wouldn't recommend it in a bright room, indirect ambient lighting is ok as long as it doesn't shine on the screen....but any direct sunlight and the NEC (and any other

·
Registered
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maranathaman
I have the Sony, and I plan on getting the NEC, because the Sony has poor contrast and greenish tint.
Have you performed the Smart II calibrations? Everyone knows that the Sony green is related to the base calibration which is too green (low color set) by about 5%. Smart II will dramatically improve the contrast ratio and overall black especially with the 30 or 40C filter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.