Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I need some advice. I have an Onkyo Integra DTR-6 that has pre outs, and I would like to buy a 2 or 3 channel amplifier. It seems like alot of amps.(not all), have no type of volume control. Do I just use the Integra's volume control for 5.1( L-R mains,center)? The owners manual says I should turn off the main 's (L-R) of the receiver when useing an external amp. It seems to me that my amp must have a volume control. Is this right or am I missing something??

Thanks, Colin

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
a dedicated amp probably will not have a volume control. No problem though, you can just control the volume through the Integra. All you're doing with the volume contol is attenuating the line level out signal from the pre-outs. Even if you turn the mains off in the Integra, it's likely you'll just be turning off the amp in the receiver for those channels - you'll still be able to control the volume of the pre-outs line level signal.

Good Luck,

David

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Correct. The volume control is ahead of the 'pre-out' (and 'amp-in', if there are any) jacks in the signal path. Your idea is exactly what the pre-outs are intended for. Also, if the front-channel amps have a greater power rating, and you have 'amp-in' jacks, you can run the rear pre-outs to the front amp-in jacks, and hook the rears to the front terminals.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

Now I can start my journey into seperate's. I'll get a "real" pre amp later on. Also, deciding on what amp to go with my Klipsch Forte's,C-7 center,and RSC-3 rears. I have between $500-700 to spend, depending on were I take my wife out to dinner.....;)

Colin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.