AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
every few days my mitsubishi 65907 user settings revert to torch mode...set is a year old....was isf'd at about 3 months old...contacted the tech...he never heard of such a thing & sugested service under the warranty..........searched this prob here & at home theater spot......was told if i had kids(i do)maybe the 2yr old was hitting the a/v reset button on the front panel(he loves buttons).......so the pc richards guy arrives.....i explained the problem....he radioed to another tech...(in another language)...after some time he said he could fix it in the service menu...initionalize page i think he said....anyway....took him quite a while to get into service mode....his fix did nothing ....so i told him just to disconnect the a/v reset button...he was reluctant at first...but since he couldnt fix it the "right way"..he took out his soldering iron & did the deed...........i was more comfortable with him soldering than in the service menu lesser of two evils...anyway.....no change.......back to torch mode 2 hrs after he left.....what should i do?....im going to call them back...but i have no confidence in them........x box looks great on the big screen but im headed for trouble with this problem...........feel like i wasted $350 on 3 yr warranty...any thoughts?....thanx..

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
That does sound strange. When I calibrate a Mitsubishi, I do it in the service mode so that if someone hits A/V Reset, it sets things to the calibrated state. Perhaps you should look for a calibrator that is able to do that (or learn how to do it yourself). Why it "AV Resets" itself periodically is a separate issue. I would push on the 3 yr warranty people to get that fixed, but it doesn't sound like they really know what they are doing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for responding.....my isf tech...cost me $450 and spent all of about an hour....the picture was much improved though...great color and black levels........so you can reset factory defaults in the service menu on WS65907?.....is it possible to post something i could show him the next time he comes?.........don't really have the dough to get it re isfed.....wadya think ?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Sure would be nice to make $450/hour ;)

Most of the good ISF calibrators take 2-3 hours for the basic $275 calibration on a RPTV. In my opinion you are being overcharged (or underserved) for that price and amount of time spent.

If he has the service manual for that TV, that has all the information he would need.

It is possible on your TV to adjust everything so that all the user controls for all scan rates can be at their default positions and have everything properly calibrated. Find a calibrator with experience with Mitsubishi that assures you that he can do that and you should be fine.

It is probably a subject for another thread, but it would be interesting to know what was (or wasn't) done for $450 in one hour.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
as i stated i don't have the dough to have the set re-isf'd....(my isf tech had to drive 1 hr each way also...)the warranty service guy came today...this one seemed to know more than the last..in terms of the service mode any way ....he said maybe there has been power glitches & things to cause the user settings to revert to defaults....so we simulated a power interruption by unplugging the set ...waiting a moment & plugging back in......but that did not reset the user settings ......i told him what i read here...that he should correct this by changing the default values to reflect my settings(contrast down...temp on low & set to film instead of video)...he said he could & showed me how..........he told me he could change the contrast in the service mode..but that's not what he SHOULD do.......if he lowered the contrast setting in the service menu..the picture contrast would go down but the user setting bar would stay where it was...,,,so if he set the contrast bar in the user setting to 100%...(where it winds up every day or so on its own)...then he goes to the service menu and lowers the contrast setting to where it should be(35-40%)...i would loose the range of the user setting ......id have to be at 100% in the user setting in order to have actual setting of 35-40% or so...am i making any sense?...while this would solve my problem with the contrast...its not the best fix...... he said & i agreed he should try to research this with Mitsubishi....& get back to me Tuesday or so.........any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
While I agree that it is not a fix for the problem, adjusting the contrast down in the service menu so that 100% in the user control is the highest you would ever want it set is exactly what I do during my calibrations. If you are never going to set it any higher anyway, why not have it be the max.

I would still be pushing on them to fix the resetting problem since you have a warranty, but in the mean time, I would set the service menu parameter (SCT) down to the low 20's to protect yourself from inadvertently running in torch mode for a while after one of the resets.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
For what it's worth, my Mitsu HDTV was doing this periodically also, and I couldn't figure out why. It seemed like it may have been associated with a blue flicker/flash, like one would expect from a reset. I was never able to pin it down to that and then, so that's a guess I my part. I just seemed to notice that it had reset itself when I checked at some time after that. For whatever reason, it stopped, and I haven't had to do re-set things for a couple months now. Go figure. I still do a quick scroll through the settings every now and then to make sure. It's easy to remedy, and I kind of like tweaking stuff that way, so it's not a big deal to me. But like I said, it stopped doing it a few months back.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey Allan....why would i want to "redo everything" after i paid $450 to have it done....?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.