AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this has been covered in another thread. I searched in vain, and could not find specific info.

I have Athena Audition 5.1 speakers (AS-F2 in front) and an Onkyo TX-SR800 receiver. The receiver is rated at 100 watts per channel, but we all know that I'd be lucky to get half of that in DPL II. My priority is music over video. I find that the receiver is a bit underpowered for my large room.

My question to the audio clan: Is it advisable to use two 200 watt monoblock amps to power the front speakers, which are larger than the others, and use the receiver to power the center channel and surrounds? Will it help the sound enough to justify the cost ($600 or so)?

I know that I can always buy / return the amps if it doesn't pan out, but amps are rather heavy and return shipping cost could add up fast. Also, I live in the boondocks and shipping from here can be a pain in the butt. Any advise would be great

Thanks, Dave

:) :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yes, you can definitely do it. I do something similar: I have powerful amps for the L/R mains, and I have a far less powerful 3-ch power amp for my center and surrounds.

It can be a little inconvenient, since some monoblocks don't have 12v triggers and therefore don't automatically power on when you turn on the receiver/prepro. (Actually I'd guess that almost no receivers have 12v triggers either, since by definition they usually carry their power amp internally...)

What sort of 200 wpc monoblocks can you get for $600/pr??? Even the Shanlings are $2600/pr (80wpc tube monoblocks). Most of the ones I've seen are far more, usually in the vicinity of $5000/pr and up.

I don't mean to bust your chops, but how can suburban San Diego be in the boondocks? Every time I'm there it seems to be wall-to-wall city!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Nevermind, I see that Outlaw has just introed 200 wpc monoblocks at $299 each... they certainly look interesting, based on Outlaw's record with other products. I doubt they'll match the sonic quality of the expensive stuff (Rowland M201, Classe CAM-350, etc) but for literally a tenth the price they look like they'd be terrific value.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
blw,

The Outlaw amps are what I had in mind...and I now know what a 12V trigger is... Thanks for that info.

BTW, I live 50 miles NE of S.D., so I guess it's not really "suburban" San Diego, but it's definitely the boondocks :)

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Why use 3 monoblocks, one each for the L/C/R?

A lot of info is relayed through the center channel.

Putting each of these channels on "equal footing"

so to speak, would seem to be a viable alternative.

I know you listed music as a priority over movies

but if you decide to go with DVD-A and/or SACD

the above would hold as well.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I'm using a H/k AVR-525 receiver with the internal amps driving the surround and center channels. I'm using a pair of Outlaw monoblocks to drive the front L/R speakers. The setup works great, although I cannot compare the Outlaw sonic quality with more expensive amps.

If the receiver is equipped with a 12 volt trigger, it will send a 12V signal over a wire connected to your monoblocks (or other equipment) when it is turned on. When the other pieces of equipment receive this signal, they will turn on as well. So you can turn on your whole system just by turning on the recevier. My receiver doesn't have this feature, but the Outlaw monoblocks do have a "music sense" mode (similar to many subwoofers) which will turn them on when they detect a signal through the input.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's great info, you guys. Thanks. I'm going to make the purchase ASAP.

Outlaw has a free shipping deal at the moment.

Milt99,

My center channel is rated at 125 watts. Will I damage it if I connect it to a 200 watt Outlaw monoblock?

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by heavyd

My center channel is rated at 125 watts. Will I damage it if I connect it to a 200 watt Outlaw monoblock?

Thanks, Dave
No you won't.

More speakers are damaged by to little power, then there are by to much power.

A 50 watt amp, if driven into "clipping", can easily damage speakers that are rated for over 100 watts or more.

It's a very common misconception that the amp should only have the same or less power than what the speakers are rated for. And it's wrong. As you can safely use a amp rated for way above what the speakers are, and without damage to them. I'm not saying you would not be able to find a way to do damage, just that it's much harder to do than it is with a lower or marginal powered amp is.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for the info folks. I'll either get three monoblocks or the 755 model (5 channels x 200). This upgraditis bug is wicked !! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.