AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I recently acquired a kenwood vintage 2 channel receiver, and I would like to permanently hook it up to my front main speakers which are also a part of my surround setup. I also have a surround receiver that I primarily use for digital material, and I use the 2 channel receiver for tapes and lp's. So, I am looking for a piece of equipment that I can run both of the receivers' speaker wires into, and then output it through 1 set of speaker wires, so that I can choose what source is powering the front speakers. Basically, it would be something like a speaker selector, only in reverse. Maybe someone can help me out here, because I havent been able to find much on the net.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
411 Posts
Niles makes a source switch. A speaker switch may work, but is not guaranteed to. Most speaker switches seem to switch only one lead. That's fine for multiple speakers from one amp. But if you use it reverse, the result may be a short. I had that happen at one point. I'm currently using two speaker switches in reverse, one for each lead. That's safe. But when I get around to it I'll order one of the Niles boxes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info man. I did consider using a speaker selector in reverse, but I figured that with my luck it would probably fry something. But it looks like the Niles DPS-1 is exactly what I need. Thanks again

Matt

·
Registered
30,800 Posts
Hedrick's caution is worth noting but many of us have used the reverse speaker selector without problems. No guarantees, of course.

Kal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.