AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 22khz switch to use with my DSS dishes, one pointing at 101, the other at 119. I've already sent one back because I thought it defective. I got another one. The problem is that on the 119 bird, without the switch I'm getting a 78 signal, with it I get a 40. On the 101 the signal only drops from 96 to 91. Is this normal with these switches? Do I need some sort of amplifier? Any Help Appreciated.

·
Registered
70 Posts
YOU SHOULDN'T BE GETTING THAT MUCH SIGNAL LOSS. wHAT TYPE (MAKE) OF SWITCH IS IT? DOUBLE CHECK CONNECTIONS AND WIRING BEFORE YOU SEND IT BACK AGAIN.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All it says on the front is "PerfectVision" 22Khz Switch. Does it matter what side either dish is on? I would'nt think so. The Wiring is all correct.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have a perfect vision 22kHz switch also. The switch says dish 1 and dish 2 on it. Dish 1 should be 101 and dish 2 should be 119.

David

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just to clarify this for ya:

The "A" (or Sat 1 / 101) side of the switch is controlled by two voltages, +13VDC and +18VDC.

The "B" (or Sat 2 / 119) side of the switch is activated when it sees +13VDC with 22KHz tone and +18 VDC and the 22KHz tone.

So, if you were to reverse the the satellites on the multiswitch, the normal position would bring in the 119 satellite, but it wouldn't get the regular program guide, and many of the transponders (everything under TxP 22) would not be available.

Within the group of "Sat A" or "Sat B," it doesn't matter which coax lead goes to which of the two "F" terminals, but BOTH must go to the same side (the 101 LNB must go to both terminals of the SAT A side, both Sat B LNB leads must go to the Sat B terminals on the multiswitch.

Hope this helps,

Scott

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually now I'm confused thid switch has 3 possible 75 ohm inputs. On Dish 1 I have plugged in the 101. On Dish 2 I have the 119, and the output is running into the sat in on the DTC100. Pretty basic stuff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Finally someone in with the same problem.

I live in MA also. I have a single LNB dish pointed at 101, and get a 97. I ended up aiming my dual dish myself since the installer didn't do a very good job. The SAT A on the dual dish is 91 (to be expected). I have the SAT B jumping around (always in increments of 10) from 59 - 78. On the clearest of days it will stay at 78 for transponders 31 and 32. %80 of the time it sits on 68. I have the channel master switch that came with the Dish.

[This message has been edited by c.k (edited 06-08-2001).]

[This message has been edited by c.k (edited 06-08-2001).]

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My prob is a bit different. If I plug the 119 directly into the Receiver I get a rock steady 78. If I go thru the 22Khz switch it drops to between 30-40.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Two questions: are you using RG6 cables? and what is the total length of the cable(s) from 119 dish to your receiver?

Long or wrong cable can also weaken signal.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm using RG6 quad sheild and the cable run is around 30 ft

But bear in mind directly plugging the 119 dish into the receiver is yielding a 79 signal, it's only when it goes thru the switch that it is degraded to a 40.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I talked to the place I bought the switch all too abrubtly they told me the reason it was happening was the DTC 100 does not output 22Khz. At first they did not even know what a dtc 100 was. Then When I asked why they initially said it would work was because they don't know individual Direct TV Receiver boxes. I'm really confused here. I can return the switch for credit, but what type of switch do I Need to take the output of two oval dishes, into the DTC 100 ?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm kinda at a loss then for what is happenning. And the company will not send me another switch saying they don't work with the dtc 100. What would account for the 119 signal being cut in half?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
scarpad:

You might try calling RCA tech support for DTC-100 at 888-901-4388. They were very helpful when I first installed my elliptical dish and struggled to aim and connect it.

My multiswitch is labeled SMS-4/4 RP20. It was part of the RCA 18x24 dish package. I don't know what brand it is.

I've never connected my 119 LNB directly to the DTC-100 (i.e., without going through the multiswitch). However, I've never seen a signal reading for the 119 satellite greater than 72. It mostly reads around 60 (through the multiswitch). The 101 satellite reads from 80 to 86.

We have never had any rain fade or other dropout problem on either satellite. I have all 4 outputs of the multiswitch in use: Two for DTC-100, one each for two Sony DirecTiVo's and one for an RCA DirecTV Plus receiver. I will have to upgrade to accommodate the two tuner feature of DirecTiVo when the software becomes available later his year.

Good Luck!

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.