AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How well does a 30" LCD work as a PC monitor? I'm thinking about placing the Samsung LTM295W on the wall behind my desk to use as a computer monitor. The unit would also function as an HDTV from 9 feet away on a sofa up against the wall opposite the desk. I've read that the LTM295W performs well as a PC monitor when using the DVI input at the native 1280x768 resolution. Is text on the screen reasonably sharp (i.e. not fuzzy) at this resolution?

·
Registered
491 Posts
PeteratMars - a 30" LCD at 9 feet away for computer use, especially running at 1280x768 natvie rez, would probably be a stretch. I have a Panny 42" EDTV Plasma, 856x480 native rez, at a viewing distance of about 9 feet. The computer related text material is readable at native rez, but when I switch it to 1120x600 (powerstrip rez), text becomes harder to read. I realize your LCD would be sharper at that rez, but it would also be much smaller (30" vs 42"). I would think it would be a long shot...IMHO...

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yeah, sitting 9 feet away from a 1280 x 768 resolution would not be a good idea. You'll have some difficulty distinguishing icons, let alone texts. However, 1280 x 768 in a 29" LCD about 1 - 2 feet away from you would be spectacular. I've had the honor of using a 22" Cinema display (Apple) from my friend and it kicks ASS!. Naked chics never looked so good, except perhaps in real life. :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have the Samsung Synchmaster 241MP, a 24 inch 16:9 LCD. I use it as a PC monitor. It can also do HDTV. No DVI input, unfortunately, but the picture is sharp with VGA or component in.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I meant was that I plan to view the LTM295W at a distance of 2 feet when sitting at my desk and viewing the screen as a computer monitor. Then when it's time to watch HDTV, I'll move back 7 feet and sit on the sofa which is directly in line with the desk and screen. I think that would be a good ergonomic setup to achieve convergence between PC and TV. Based on Slarsky's answer the screen should work well as a computer monitor at a distance of 2 feet.

The thing that's confusing me now is that I saw a web site which says that the monitor will display at a resolution of 1600 x 1024 on a MAC computer.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/bestbuyplasma/ltm295w.html

If that is the case then wouldn't the clarity of the computer image be superior on a MAC compared with the 1280 x 768 for the PC? Or would the native resolution 1280 x 768 produce the most highly resolved image?

·
Registered
407 Posts
We have run the Samsung LTM295W as a computer monitor for a couple of months now, and its great from about 2' - 4' away. Two feet is a little close, three feet is close to ideal. Text is very sharp at native resolution. You won't want to look at anything other than NR when using it as a monitor (unless you like fuzzy).

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's great. I can put the LTM295W on the wall in front of the desk and view it from 3 feet. My desk is 2 feet deep. The other one foot can be occupied by the distance between the rear of the desk and the wall and by the distance between the front of the desk and my viewing position.

I was very close to deciding upon the Samsung 240T because of its fantastic resolution (1920 x 1200) however a 24 inch screen is just a bit too small for comfortable viewing as an HDTV at a distance of 9 feet. The Samsung LTM295W appears to be an acceptable compromise to provide a large enough size for HDTV viewing at a distance and adequate resolution for PC viewing close up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chewitt
I have the Samsung Synchmaster 241MP, a 24 inch 16:9 LCD. I use it as a PC monitor. It can also do HDTV. No DVI input, unfortunately, but the picture is sharp with VGA or component in.
I've got a 241MP as well. I've been using it since August for SD viewing via the S-video input only. When I got it I played around with using it with VGA in as well as with a component DVD player hooked to the DVD input. For all of these it has worked very well.

I finally got an HD source (a HTPC). I've discovered 2 problems that appear to be failures with my device and I want to verify with someone else who has one that I'm not crazy.

Problem 1: At any HD format from the PC (GForce FX outputing via an AudioAuthority VGA to Component adapter, configured with PS) I get a very fuzzy image with red and blue "tinges" around characters etc... Also I cannot size the image to fit on the display...it's too big. This is to the DTV input. Have you fed an HD source into your 241MP and had it worked cleanly?

Problem 2: With 2 other sources I tested, a component out DVD player, and my Xbox, I get a band accross the bottom (about 1 inch high) of ugliness (last test I did it still showed part of the Windows XP taskbar, other times it was just black).

Thanks in advance.

-cek

·
Registered
62 Posts
One other thing:

I sucessfully used this PC in the same configuration to drive my Panasonic P42HD5 42" Plasma and it worked beautifully so I know the signal's good. Using PowerStrip I played with all the HD formats (on both monitors). On the Samsung 241MP no matter what I tried I got the ugly red/blue bleeding and could not adjust the size.

-cek

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
>>> 1600 x 1024 on a Mac ...

There are lots of fixed pixel (LCD, DLP, etc.) monitors that accept resolutions higher than their native resolution, and dowrez it. Mine (49 inch Sony KL-W9000, native 640x480) is one such. I can work with 1024 x 768 incoming PC input most of the time. Small text is difficult to read at 1024 x 768, you are actually interpreting what is being displayed as opposed to just reading it. The results vary in quality with different TV sets doing the same kind of downconverting.

Just because it accepts 600p (800x600) and 768p (1024x768 NI) does not mean it will accept 720p. Feeding in an unacceptable scan rate will produce unpredictable results that may or may not be curable by the service mode adjustments.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.