AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shopping for a mid-level receiver and one of my requirements is the option for speakers A and B. In the "old" days receivers this gave the audio option for turning off the set of speakers hard wired to speaker B, typically in another room. Since it seems that most modern day AV receivers don't have this (some do) the other option that is almost preferred is as follows:

Use the 5.1 speakers connections and then using the extra 2 speaker connections on the 7.1 receiver for these speakers I have in a different room. So, the connections match up, it boils down to functionality of the receiver. Can I enjoy surround sound on the 5.1 speakers and not use the 2 extra (turn them off) while enjoying DVDs?

Some of the specs I have read describe the 2 extra speaker connections as additional rear speakers, thus can these be turned off and on as wanted.

Incidentely, I am looking at the denon 1611 or something there abouts.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
You can certainly use a 7.1 AVR in a 5.1 mode. If you want to listen to the Surround Back speakers simultaneously in a different room, however, I think the issue you'll encounter is that the Surround Back speakers in a 7.1 set-up (whether from an actual 7.1 source or matrixed to 7.1 using something like Dolby PLIIx) will not have the same audio content as the Front speakers unless you set the AVR to some sort of "all channel stereo" mode (not sure what Denon calls their version). I think you really need an AVR with the Front speaker A/B/A+B feature or one with a second zone capability to achieve what you want. JMO

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a denon avr 890. I have some in wall speakers over in my bar/pool table area and I have those hooked up to the B speakers. I can go into the menu on the avr 890 and set which speakers for multi-channel and two channel independently.

When entertaining I usually have my avr on 5 channel stereo and then I go into the menu and set multi-channel to A+B speakers and all 7 speakers are playing.

The avr 890 could probably be had for $300ish these days new. Doesn't do 3d on the HDMI, but does everything else for me. No pre-outs for separate amp so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
I believe you can do that with the 1611. Id say go to the amp, receiver section of avs and find the 1611 dedicated thread. Jdsmoothie knows alot about the Denon receivers and could help you out!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1252688

Link to the thread

-Kevin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.